The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans broke!!!!!!

14bCrazy

I launched and it wasn't happy. I should have the trans out in the next few days. It's just so damn hot that I'm only going to work on it in the early morning. We think that it broke first gear. This is a TRE trans by the way. I'll post pics when we get it part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

14bCrazy

I won it at one of Harry's get togethers. I'm not sure what first they used. It maybe has 2000 mikes on it. I'll know exacly the problem is in a few days.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

The EVO 3 first must be mated to the EVO 3 input shaft. That is about a $500 upgrade.

I bet you will find something like this.

14bCrazy

That's what I'm thinking. She came out of the hole like crazy then bang!!! The good thing is that it happened in the parking lot at work. Which is 3 miles from my house. It could have happened an hour away at the track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

brisvr4

I know this tune well!
I fixed mine with a Dsm 1st gear and input shaft, it's a bit shorter than the Evo3 gear but gets me out of the hole faster.

14bCrazy

That's the plan.

14bCrazy

I got it apart and found the cause. The trans bolts must have come loose and let it move. One of the dowl pins was sheared off and it broke off on of the tabs where it bolts to the block. The other thing it did was break off the sleeve on the bell housing where the input shaft goes in. We are going to have to tig weld the tab back on the block and get another bell housing. Billy is going to take the trans apart but we think the internals are fine. So I have two questions has anybody ever had that sleeve break off of the bell housing? Has anybody ever tried to welds onto a block like that?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I had my block welded similarly to that just this spring. Guy did an excellent job.

Haven't run it at all yet though.

H05TYL

Quoting 14bCrazy:
I got it apart and found the cause. The trans bolts must have come loose and let it move. One of the dowl pins was sheared off and it broke off on of the tabs where it bolts to the block. The other thing it did was break off the sleeve on the bell housing where the input shaft goes in. We are going to have to tig weld the tab back on the block and get another bell housing. Billy is going to take the trans apart but we think the internals are fine. So I have two questions has anybody ever had that sleeve break off of the bell housing? Has anybody ever tried to welds onto a block like that?

I had a similar issue using an evo box on my vr4, only the top two bolt holes and the dowel pins line up (and the bolt underneath from the engine side, but I missed that one!), when launching the car it cracked the bell housing just below each of the top bolts - I never closely examined the rest of the gearbox, but I recall the clutch plate was bent. I ended up selling the box to a mate for parts and dropped another vr4 box into it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned