The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trannys trannys and more trannys

dsmless

So I am considering an upgrade for 96, which way will be better/cost effective, I can get a 97 gsx awd trns and transfer for a resonable price, but has anyone done this swap, I know it will fit in a 1g dsm but not sure on a galant, It should being, the same motor and all, or ahould i just get it rebuilt with better internals, I have to change the clutch soon and wanting to changet he tranny also since im already there, so any ideas

Lonewolf64

If I remember correctly, the 2g transmissions have a smaller 4th gear synchro, which is not worth the switch. I would say that you should just go ahead and get your transmission rebuilt by a reputable builder rather than putting on another used stock transmission. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made with my car to go with a TRE box rather than a stocker. The shifting feel is totally different and I'm confident it can handle more power than a tired stock box.

I would contact either Shep, Jack's Trans, or TRE, and have one of them rebuild your box. Their end product is basically of the same quality level, so it's just a matter of choosing who you want to give some money to.

dsmless

I remembered you talking about it when we did the virginia meet, I also thought about rebuilding, but the thing that holds me back from it is that the vr4 is my daily so maybe will look for a spare one, or a dsm one, hey on your tranny is the shift clunky or smooth or well you know what Im trying to say,

Wizardawd

2g tranny will fit fine with some parts changes, but consider that the money you spend on a used 2g with questionable performance isn't worth it since a great rebuild from shep/tre/jack, etc will cost the same. And they do have a program where they build a tranny, ship it to you for rebuild cost +core charge. Then you get your core money back once you ship them a REBUILDABLE tranny. Meaning, as long as it's not cracked or in pieces, you'll get your money back.

Wiz

lonewolf. Just curious as to which stage you went with and which options you bought from TRE. I am having mine rebuilt by them in the next couple of months and I was wondering about your transmission and how you like it. I am trying to decide which stage to go with.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned