The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TPS wire into the cabin.

broxma

So I have been having some electrical problems due to 20 year old connectors and wiring I assume. I traced the TPS signal, not the 5v or the ground, the signal wire, back into the cabin through the firewall. I found that the TPS signal wire enters into what appears to be the dashboard subharness. I have checked resistance from the pin at the ECU (84 in the case of the EVO ECU, 19 factory) and got a pretty high variable reading. I would have assumed the TPS signal would have run straight back to the ECU uninterrupted.

Anyone know why the TPS signal would run into the subharness then back out? Maybe for the Boost light thing? Anyone know if the resistance from the signal wire at the connector to the ECU should be zero with no power in the car? The TPS wiring diagram (Pin 2 on the connector) shows an intermediate connection to the TPS signal but it's hard to figure intermediate connections from that diagram. Just trying to be certain before I wrap the harness back up and finish soldering the new wires.

/brox

chrisfullwood

You have to check resistance, with the power off. because otherwise you will fry stuff. If you do some searching you can test to see what the readings should be on the sensor, and at the other end of the harness, there shouldn't be a huge difference. If you are noticing a massive difference from at the sensor, and at the wire your checking, then you could have damage, fraying or just old wires. but resistance shouldn't change that much along the wire, maybe an ohm or less, per break in the wire. (break being, a physical connector)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned