The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TPS issues (2G)

Kenny_Kline

Im having a TPS issue on a 2G. I am not getting power to the TPS. I was also not connecting to the ECU via ECMlink. Car barely idles and takes a lot of effort to keep it running.

TPS test:
Green/Yellow: .4v (Power for TPS)
Brown/Red: .4 (TPS output voltage)
Yellow/Red: 0v (IPS switch)
Black: 0v (ground)

So as you can see the TPS is not getting power to the TPS. I swapped the ECU from another car to see if that changed the problem. Still no power to the TPS but I can now connect with ECM link. So I traced the wire back through and found the MAF gets power from the same wire so I tested the wire at the MAF and that was getting 5v so I jumped the wire from the MAF to the TPS and now TPS output wire puts out .8v at idle and as you press the gas, the voltage goes up to 5v smoothly. I also confirmed proper function with ECM link.

Im going to send the ECU out to be checked out and repaired. The car ran fine up to this moment and the only thing I did was do a timing belt and flush the cooling system. Car ran fine still after the work but as soon as I plugged in ECMlink, it wouldnt connect and car started running like crap. I dont know what could of caused this but last thing I need is to plug the ECU in and have it happen again. Any ideas/suggstions to check what could of caused this?

Kenny_Kline

To add to this, the ECU I used to swap it in I put it back in the other car now that car is having TPS issues also and only getting 1.6v of power to the TPS and before it was reading fine!

bradrs

My first suspicion would be that you have a short or near short between the 5V and the ground. That could cause the 5V power supply inside the ECU to be damaged when you leave it on/connected for too long.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned