The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TPS issue

SiennaLover69

I had my car checked for a check engine code that was popping up off and on and I got codes 11 and 14 for the 02 sensor and the tps. The 02 sensor is no problem, ive got a new one and just gotta replace it (which is basically done, the old one is just being stubborn lol). Anyway I just wasnt sure about replacing the tps. On the paperwork that I got from the shop that checked the codes for me, they said they "found the voltage has a large change when the connector is moved. also the retainer clip is broken, recommend replace tps pigtail". Im just not too sure how to go about replacing the tps.
From what ive been told im not sure whether id have to just replace the wiring or the entire tps itself, but it seems like they said that all I really need to do is replace the wiring.
Also, if it is just the wiring, I was wondering if I go to pick n pull, if a 93 dsm will have the same tps and wiring. It seems there are no 91 and 92 gvr4s or dsms at any pick n pull in the sacramento nor cal area right now lol. From what I read it should be fine, and that it was the 90's that were completely different.
Thanks for the help in advance, and thanks for bearing with me, im a auto noob lol.

tektic

The TPS is a fancy potentiometer. Meaning that it changes it's resistance incrementally based on the size of the throttle body opening. It's just like the volume control on your home stereo. Is that making sense?

When the "voltage has a large change" when the changing the volume on your stereo you get popping crackling and volume fluctuations as you gradually turn up or turn down the volume. Now that's very noticeable on your stereo but when your TPS does the same, only your ecu hears the distortion. It causes all sorts of problems worse when you have an auto trans. Either way the ecu cant make its computations correctly with bad input from this sensor. So its bad.

Now how to change it:
You need to remove the throttle body. I have tried to adjust it before without removing the tb but I found it impossible to remove the lower screw while it was still on the car. Remove two screws and replace with known good unit. Here is a link to the tps adjustment and testing: http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tps.htm

SiennaLover69

Okay, I'm following, I think lol
So should I replace the entire sensor? From what I was told by the place that diagnosed my car, they just made it sounds like it just the wiring that needs to be replaced, and that I can just run over to pick n pull, and use the wiring that I find from another cars tps.

tektic

If you have a volt meter test the sensor. That's the only way to know for sure. It is very likely that it is bad. Mine was. If the harness is cracked that is not helping the situation. If you find one in the yard find me one too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gmoney1983

Check all the wiring first if that's what the shop said the problem is. I had the tps code come up and foolishly replaced the sensor before checking the wires. It may just be a wiring problem, or it may be the sensor. My problem happened to be I had some wires touching each other and sending false readings back to the ecu.

Also the sensor can be changed while the throttle body is still on the car, but like tektic said that bottom screw can be a real pain. I used an open end wrench and got about 1/16th of a turn at a time. And I believe any 1g dsm tps should work, so you should be fine with the 93.

SiennaLover69

Alright sounds good, ill go ahead and remove the throttle body and test it with my multimeter, seems pretty straight forward. Lol, no luck finding the right sensor itself in any pick n pulls near me, Ive got the wiring for the 90' tps, which I heard I would be able to use to replace the old wiring on my 91' tps. But I guess its no help if it turns out its the entire sensor!
Hopefully ive got time to remove the tb tonight, i havent tried it yet but I assume its pretty easy... or at least easy to get to lol.

SiennaLover69

Yeah i was gonna check the wiring first, hopefully thats what it is, i dont wanna spend 150-200 on a new sensor lol.
but yeah, I was wrong, no 93's near me, only 90's, but they sensor looks completely different, but I got the wiring from the 90' tps, is the wiring on the 90'tps the same as the 91'+ ?

img.php

Gmoney1983

That looks way different than the 91 wiring. Looks like the only way you'd be able to use that is with a 90 tb and lots of rewiring.

tektic

yeah 90 tps wont work. You can get if from almost any Mitsubishi 91-94. they should have the same plug. just bring your volt meter and test them before you take them off to make sure they work properly. nt dsm nt galant...

To test it you don't need to remove it from the car. Just have to pop the plug off and open and close the tb while taking readings from the far to two leads on the sensor. its been a while, double check which leads on sensor to test.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts