The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Torn on whether to keep ABS

fuel

I wonder if you could retro-fit an ABS system from a later model Mitsubishi into the GVR4

mitsuturbo

That's odd. My scales must be way off.
I first weighed myself, then weighed myself holding the parts. Also weighed the unit by itself. I did this because i've heard/read so many times that it's 20+ pounds.

I posted a photo on FB immediately after weighing the thing.

"I weighed this on 2 digital scales and one analog. 13.5 pounds."

Seems my memory was fuzzy on the actual weight. Still came in at 13.5 though. I wonder if there is a weight difference between the 91 and the 92 ABS units. Mine came out of a 92.

Barnes

How much brake fluid is inside the ABS unit? Honestly, depending the the scales used, there could be a ton of error.

mitsuturbo

3 scales gave 3 equal results to me, which differ by 5 lbs from the result this other guy got from 3 different scales as well.

I'm pretty sure it's not the scales here, Barnes. Something is different about the ABS units, apparently. Unless the gravitational forces at this other person's location are different... perhaps he measured them on Venus?

Last edited:

Barnes

What three scales did he use? What about you? Measurement uncertainty is very real. If you used a 300 lbs scale with 1% accuracy at mid-range (you+abs unit), that's a plus or minus 3 lbs error. What if he put them on a 350 lbs scale by itself with an accuracy of 3% at the low or high end? That's over a plus/minus 10 lbs possible error. Now, just because I bring it up doesn't mean I'm saying it *is* the cause, but it should be considered.

Probability would indicate that you are most likely correct as far as there being a physical difference. Has anyone compared part numbers?

89Patches

I can tell you my ABS unit was empty of brake fluid (Spilled it all over my floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif)

I just weighed it on my bathroom scale and it showed 18.5lbs as well. In the How to thread on deleting ABS there is also a picture showing 18.6lbs..

For that much of a difference in weight maybe there is a difference between 91&92 pumps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Edit: The scales I used when I first weighed them were two shipping scales that you would find at you post office max capacity is 50lbs for the ones I used, And I also used one that you would find at a gym( The non digital ones)

Last edited:

Barnes

P.S. I'm sure it's not to blame, but Earth's gravitational field does vary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

geoids_sm.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts