The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Torn on whether to keep ABS

GSTwithPSI

So, I like the idea of keeping some aspects of the car as original as possible, hence wanting to keep ABS.

On the other side of the coin, I can't think of any other reason to keep it. Even fully operational (it is working fine on my car), the system doesn't even really work well IMO. Furthermore, I am in the process of cleaning up my engine bay, and HATE all the lines going to the ABS unit. Not to mention, dropping the ABS unit itself yields significant weight savings. I want to eventually swap to a 5 lug setup in the future as well, and don't think jumping through all the hoops to keep an antiquated ABS system operational is really even worth the hassle.

What do you guys think? Swap it out, or keep it? Thanks.

Last edited:

coyotes

ditch it, I think the system is highly antiquated and doesn't work that well. Original is nice but if you 5 lug and go bigger size wheels it is just going to fail on you.

donkeylips

I guess it depends on what kind of future the car is going to have.
But also, I would factor in the unavailability of the proper proportioning valve.

LIV4PSI

JNZ sells a "big brake" 1g prop valve. I would ditch it, it won't affect the value or anything. Things like AC and PS are much more important.

MellowVR4

Remove it!

GSTwithPSI

Quoting donkeylips:
I guess it depends on what kind of future the car is going to have.
But also, I would factor in the unavailability of the proper proportioning valve.

Actually, I was thinking about this. You're absolutely right, the split points between prop valves is significant. Just for that reason, I was considering keeping the ABS prop valve, and just blocking the ABS line ports. Thoughts?

transparentdsm

if you want a non abs valve PM me i might be able to source one for you. i can also give you all info you need. i did mine with just a Non-ABS prop valve and i used all the stock lines. you need to cut and re-flare 3 lines and you use the existing threaded ends, but its really easy. as long as you dont mind fluid all over your hands you'll be fine. you can buy a flare kit for realy cheap or rent one or i could lend you mine...

prove_it

I've driven with ABS and no ABS. I live in SD and I have over 10 winters of GVR4 driving under my belt. Even in the snow, non abs stops faster and is easier to drive. Our abs is a giant pile of smoking junk. Ditch it and never look back. I had more stopping issues with ABS. Although it does depend on your skill with threshold braking.

Either way, delete it.

BpuVR4

Quoting LIV4PSI:
JNZ sells a "big brake" 1g prop valve. I would ditch it, it won't affect the value or anything. Things like AC and PS are much more important.

that's how i feel. but as logic would have it, 957 and 555 both had abs and cruise retained, and ps and a/c removed by the time i got to them. gotta love those choices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

I only kept it because I didn't feel like dealing with the trouble of going through and changing out brake lines and prop valve to the correct parts with the motor in the car. It was easier to just jump through the hoops of retaining the system. I hate having loose ends, and didn't feel like having a half-done ABS removal.

That said, I only ever hated the ABS system during winter with snow or ice on the roads. It always seemed to work okay on dry ground.

transparentdsm

Quoting prove_it:
I've driven with ABS and no ABS. I live in SD and I have over 10 winters of GVR4 driving under my belt. Even in the snow, non abs stops faster and is easier to drive. Our abs is a giant pile of smoking junk. Ditch it and never look back. I had more stopping issues with ABS. Although it does depend on your skill with threshold braking.

Either way, delete it.

i like the feel of the full pedal without ABS. i feel like i can control the brakes more.

Fish

Rip it out and gently set it in the trash can. Mine tried to throw me into a mailbox last winter. Our abs setup sucks.

mitsuturbo

If it works without issue, keep it. If it has EVER given you a problem, ditch it. Simple as that.

Wookalar

Ditch it, the thing weighs like 20-25 lbs.

fuel

I found the ABS on mine seemed to work very well to avoid locking up during time on the track but over the years I've been plagued with a spongey pedal when applying lots of brakes in quick succession which I know is not quite brake fade (has Ferodo DS2500 pads all round which are about half worn on the front and barely worn on the rear). Pumping the pedal quickly brings up the pedal pressure. I've replaced the brake master cylinder with a brand new one and the front calipers were pulled apart, cleaned up and put back together with new seals even though there were no signs of them leaking previously - the rear calipers were then inspected with no leaks also but I didn't bother going ahead tearing them down. Even after multiple bleeds using Motul RBF600 Dot5.1 fluid on the track or even coming to a quick halt on the free way causes the pedal to slowly sink to the floor.

I did have another instance where I had not long turned off the car but then had to move it a few feet forward so I went to go push it and it felt rock solid and hard to push. I checked the handbrake wasn't on and nothing was obstructing the wheels. As I was checking the wheels I found one of the front rims was quite hot to the touch where the other side and the rears weren't. I had the hood up at the time and as I was leaning down checking the wheels I heard a click of a relay or something similar from the passenger side (US drivers side) of the engine bay. After that I was able to roll the car forward easily. I didn't think much of it at the time but it did dawn on me after that it probably was the ABS unit applying pressure to that front wheel for some reason.

So with both these issues in mind I am wondering if the ABS unit itself is somehow faulty. Mileage is at approx 125,000 miles now and it's all original as far as I can tell.

RayH

I've found the 2 channel ABS much more annoying than the 4WS. Get one side of the car onto an icy shoulder and you can say goodbye to braking.

JCorbo25

My DSM ABS tried to throw me into some bushes... then sucked balls on dirt roads, disabled it.

The GVR4 ABS has a wheel sensor not working, so it was 'auto-disabling' after a block... then it 'magically' turned on when traffic stopped suddently and failed miserably... I had to pull the ebrake and slide between a pickup and sedan. My son was amused, I crapped my pants. I now have it disabled, will swap out down the line.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Wookalar:
Ditch it, the thing weighs like 20-25 lbs.

Actually, i weighed mine when i took it out last year. Everything, including the extra lines weighed just about 12 pounds.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts