The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Top to Bottom FMIC

Hey everybody!

Just wondering if any of you have installed a top to bottom flow front mount on a GVR4? I have a custom setup that was on my Talon when it was a 20g car, it worked really well until I put the 6262 on, and it just didn't provide enough cooling. Anyways, I have basically the whole kit, and my trusty TIG welder, so I'm thinking about trying to work something out for my Galant, which is only a small 16g car, but as we all know, that stock IC is a joke.

I would love to see some install shots of some top to bottom FMIC's if anyone has them. Mine has both inlet and outlet on the same side, it made for REALLY quick spool on the BR20G, with a really short intake track.

RedTwo

I had one a while back. 2" pipes, shifted the radiator all the way to the cam gear side and ran both the pipes around on the gearbox side. I can't say it really made any noticeable difference on the 14B /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Might have some photos on the other computer.

Sounds pretty good, I would love to see the pics if you can find them! I'm only running a 16g, but on 91 octane, I have Link, and am a pretty solid tuner, so I'll probably run this little puffer wide open once I have the rest of the supporting mods covered, but here in Albuquerque we average high 90's this time of year, and my logs are indicating 150+ degree intake temps, so I'm certain it will help! =)

RedTwo

This must have been when I removed the intercooler to go to the larger one I currently have. Oh the memories... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mistaVR4

You should install it for sure! Like you said the stock I/C is a joke, on a 16g powered GVR4 you'll be happy with the results no matter what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the pics man, that gives me a little better idea of what to expect. Did you move the radiator in order to avoid cutting the core support, or was there simply not enough room? Also, did you have to trim the bumper beam?

I think that I will almost definitly install it, the one I have is actually pretty nice, 3" core bar and plate with 2.5 in/out. I don't remember the core dimensions, I think it's like 7" tall and 19" wide, more than enough for a 16g or anything else I would ever put on this car, like a 20g or a gt28.

If anyone else has some T>B FMIC pics I would love to see them!

Thanks for reading guys =)

Quoting mistaVR4:
You should install it for sure! Like you said the stock I/C is a joke, on a 16g powered GVR4 you'll be happy with the results no matter what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeah, I think I probably will, it will give me a good excust to do some fab work, trunk my battery, etc... I want to go speed density on this car, although I have the MAF dialed in really well, I just don't like MAF tuning, SD is just so much smoother, easier, cleaner, faster, lol!

RedTwo

Thinking about it again I actually had a 2.5" pipe almost all the way from the cold side to the throttle. The radiator had to shift for the pipe to clear between the frame and the radiator. There may have been some issues with the support for the headlight but I think that can be avoided second time around.
I had to relocate the factory oil cooler and remove its mounting bracket & The JDM bumper had to have a little strip trimmed out of the support frame, but that could have been avoided.

Luke

Here is my old setup:

click

Redtwo and Luke, thanks for the pics, I think I have a much better idea of how it's going to work now. I'll have to get this bumper off and really start taking some measurements. I have to get the front end off to install this b&m oil cooler I have laying around, anyways! =)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned