The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Took the VR4 to the drags tonight

TurboTrader

LOL. Sorry, our 15 year old operating the camera. Great camera man, but it was cold out, so he was a little shakey as a result.

Thanks for the compliment though. I couldn't believe it when I beat a Mustang 5.blow

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldnt be so quick to dog on the mustang. That particular one was just slow. I have a good friend who has ran a 9.7 all motor on drag radials. He's one of the few "muscle car" guys who drives his car to and from the track. They do make good drag cars.

TurboTrader

Not really dogging on the mustang, but I am very pleased with the performance of these cars. Goes to show, somewhat stock Mustang vs a stock VR4, not to even mention the look on the guys face when he just got smoked by a 4 door sedan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That was the priceless moment of the night. Not to mention that he was so insistent on racing me in the first place, he had a chance to go up against another Mustang that was pretty modified, but let him do a bye run just to line up against me.

gtluke

Hard to make fun of anyone when you 2.18 60ft an awd car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Quoting 1457gvr4:
I wouldnt be so quick to dog on the mustang. That particular one was just slow. I have a good friend who has ran a 9.7 all motor on drag radials. He's one of the few "muscle car" guys who drives his car to and from the track. They do make good drag cars.

I was going to make a wise crack about caffeine addiction, but not too bad for a frozen newb operator.

Nice stang killing. All hood and no go I guess.

TurboTrader

Agreed. 60 ft times do suck. I don't attribute it to bad driving on my part (I don't think). But I am open to any input.

I somewhat attribute it to the larger than stock wheels and the kumho ecstas that do better in the rain than the could ever do on dry pavement.

But like I said, I welcome any and all input.

2of9

nice video! tire size does effect 60 foot depending on what power levels you are at. I was pullin 2.1 60 fts with HEAVY chrome 16s with a decent launch..but that was when it was in "stock" mode. anyways, what kind of rims are you running? tire pressure? what rpms did you launch it at?

steve

Quoting 2of9:
nice video! tire size does effect 60 foot depending on what power levels you are at. I was pullin 2.1 60 fts with HEAVY chrome 16s with a decent launch..but that was when it was in "stock" mode. anyways, what kind of rims are you running? tire pressure? what rpms did you launch it at?

He said in the first post he's got 18"s on the car. Probably not "light" by any means. But anyway, good job getting out there. Don't let the jackstand ballers get you down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

For what it's worth, I ran my best 60foots ever with my old Centerline 18's. I had a number of 1.6x's and tons of low 1.7x's.

TurboTrader

Wheels are aluminum powder coated, 18 x 8 I believe.

Can be seen here:

DSCN2508.jpg

Still a work in progress.

I was running about 35lbs in the tires and launching at 4000.

In retrospect, probably should have been running less tire pressure and launching at 5000 or so, but the rebuilt motor only has about 2500 miles, so still a little cautious even though I don't mean to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

I'm betting those are 18x7's or 18x7.5's. That rear camber certainly isn't helping your traction. When the car's weight transfers back during a launch and the rear suspension compresses, that camber only gets worse. Time for some adjustable upper arms.

NateCrisman

Quoting gtluke:
Hard to make fun of anyone when you 2.18 60ft an awd car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

A GVR4/DSM should be able to go in the 1.8's in nearly ANY dry condition with any tire. Personally, I can't see wheel weight making any significant difference when it comes to potential for 60' because you are not power limited. You can put more power to the wheels by simply raising the rev limit.

If you were leaving at 7500rpm on the rev limiter WOT and not able to spin the tires...THEN you can blame heavy wheels for dragging you down.

I would guess you have about three tenths of time to get off your 60' which would make the car .600 to .700 faster in ET. Just takes practice with getting your launch rpm and clutch slip perfect.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts