The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Took the VR-4 to Buttonwillow last weekend

JamesFoster

So, I've been wanting to track my car for a long time now, and last weekend I finally made it happen. I've never been to a track day event before, so this was a first for me, and let me say it was the best thing I've ever done in a car. I've never had this much fun driving anything before. If you get the opportunity to do it and you haven't yet, do it! I promise you won't regret it.

674 is definitely a handful on the track, especially with a novice driver like me. I ended up turning the boost down to around 22psi where the car still makes roughly 500hp, and it was pretty damn intense. A friend of mine is actually a professional driver, and he was one of the instructors there so he gave me some good lessons. He also gave me a ride in a fully track prepped M3 with 600HP to the wheels, and it was absolutely insane. I still can't believe how fast he got us around that track. My mind was blown. I definitely recommend having an instructor go out with you if you've never been on a track before. He taught me more than a few things I would have never ever figured out on my own.

I took it relatively easy most of the day, didn't want to push it too hard just because it was my first time at the track, and I didn't want to risk damaging my beloved car. plus I went on street tires, which I now realize are basically useless on a track, especially with 500+HP.

The car handled very well though, the only thing I need is a good set of track tires. I did get more comfortable toward the end of the day and starting pushing myself a little more, I ended spinning out in one corner. The tires just couldn't quite hang on. I stayed on the track though.

One thing I'm amazed by, is the amount of high dollar cars there that people just thrash the hell out of. TONS of M3's from mildly modded to full track prepped, 8 modded GTR's all owned by young kids. 6 out of the 8 GTR's there owned by these rich kids ended up off the track in the mud. There was a 911 GT3RS there, driven there, with track tires on the roof, swapped out for the track day then driven home. Pretty badass. Definitely a super fun day, really looking forward to the next one.

edit: Also, apparently people were talking about my car, wondering what the hell it was, haha! The wastegate dumps to atmosphere and I was going wide open through third and 4th on the main straight, it was awesome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Video of #674 straightaway pass at Buttonwillow

Last edited:

MellowVR4

Thats SICK man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif good to see some VR4'S hitting the track.

EHmotorsports

seriously James it is the most fun I have ever had. its why I am in the industry today.

GreenGSX

Looking good! What brakes are on the car and did they hold up?

CarRacer

Glad you got to experience a track, definitely worth doing if you're able like you said. Awesome pictures and thanks for sharing them. You able to get your tires greasy at all? That's a weird experience the first time you feel that. Brake fade is also scary the first time that happens.

Hope you get back out there soon and share some more pictures.

89Patches

Circuit racing is 1000000x better then drag racing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How's the pedal feel with the stoptechs? I had a set on mine as well but hated how soft the pedal was up top (had ABS though)

coyotes

road racing is super fun, autocross is too. I'm hoping to get my car out some time this season.

ktmrider

Thx for posting, looks like a blast!

BTW there is gonna be a track day in Norcal sometime in May/June timeframe. I'll be up there in the LGT by chance, thinking about running a few laps however a buddy told me ( like you mention ) street tires are not a good idea LOL.

JamesFoster

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Quoting GreenGSX:
Looking good! What brakes are on the car and did they hold up?

Stoptechs, they held up great actually! No fade at all.

Quoting CarRacer:
Glad you got to experience a track, definitely worth doing if you're able like you said. Awesome pictures and thanks for sharing them. You able to get your tires greasy at all? That's a weird experience the first time you feel that. Brake fade is also scary the first time that happens.

Hope you get back out there soon and share some more pictures.

Thanks! I did get them a little greasy I think, and I think that was the corner that they let loose on and I spun it. Luckily, didn't get any brake fade .

Quoting 89Patches:
Circuit racing is 1000000x better then drag racing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How's the pedal feel with the stoptechs? I had a set on mine as well but hated how soft the pedal was up top (had ABS though)

Pedal feel is amazing, I love these brakes. I don't have abs though I'm sure that's part of the reason.

Quoting jogalant:
Awesome! Vids please! You did mount a cam yes?

I'm an idiot and didn't come very well prepared. No cam, but I definitely will next time. The only video I have is this 3rd-4th gear straightaway pass.

#674 straightaway pass at Buttonwillow

Last edited:

JamesFoster

Quoting turbowop:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rock.gif Nice pics! Car looks great on the track!

Quoting ktmrider:
Thx for posting, looks like a blast!

BTW there is gonna be a track day in Norcal sometime in May/June timeframe. I'll be up there in the LGT by chance, thinking about running a few laps however a buddy told me ( like you mention ) street tires are not a good idea LOL.

Thanks guys! Let me know when it is, I'm gonna be gone in May and busy the first week of June but if it's after that I'm down to come up.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Fantastic. I know when Brett built the car he always intended to do the same thing.

jogalant

Quote:
#674 straightaway pass at Buttonwillow

You were movin' man!
nascar-3960.gif
Made the car behind you look like it was on 2nd lol.

ghostinthevr4

Quoting dc_style:
absolutely gorgeous car james! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

The car is immaculate in person too.

That's bad ass to see James it's nice to see a VR4 going hard here in Cali. I have to step my game up and go to Buttonwillow Honda Robert from RRE challenged me to run his EK hatch on the short track. Truth is I'm scarred you can go in my place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Absolutely bad ass bro.

Jesus_Negros

Take me with you next time. I'll be settled in this weekend I hope.

Still haven't seen the gvr4 yet!

desant78

So cool!! I got bit by the same bug, I'm doing all the wrenching on A friends spec miata, and after our first event, I'm hooked with out even doing a lap!! I'm doing a ton of work to go from cruiser to track ready, and at NJMP June 27th will 995 will finally hit the track! If anyone is local and wants to join the group lmk, I'm going with a ls1 240, rb25 240, and a 3.0L 6cyl STI.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts