The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

to those with prosport gauges

OMFGeofffff

I can't figure out for the life of me why my light doesn't change colors when I turn my headlights on. Where did you tap your power wires into and the headlight switch? I've tried the cig light and the fog switch too. The problem is that it will change to amber when I turn on the parking lights but when I switch to headlights it'll change back to white and stay white even after I cycle back through.

Should I have the red wire going to constant 12v? I have the electric performance series gauge.

Q: I lost my instructions how do I wire the performance Series gauge?
A: Black –Ground
Red - 12v ign. power-meaning power when the ignition is on.
White- 12v ign. power
Orange-Headlight switch.
Green - Sender
The above/below wiring will result in white during the day and color (amber or Green) at night.

Q: How Do I wire my Premium Series(Peak/Warning) Gauges?
A: Red -Constant 12v power
Black-Ground
White-12v ignition power
Orange-headlight switch
Green –Sender

I have these gauges and I hate them. You really do get what you pay for. I could not get the stupid color change to work at all. I ran a fused power source right from the battery and use a two way switch to change between colors. I can't wait to throw some decent gauges in my car.

turbowop

I put these in 503 because all the good parts go on 1051. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll agree they're pretty crappy. I had mine wired to switch from white to green when the lights were turned on, but one night they started doing some weird sh*t. Like one would light up green and the other white. I ended up just hooking them up to be white all the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif At least the boost and oil pressure functions work properly.

raptorWagon

I gave up one figuring out how they are suppose to work, besides my boost gauges is off by exactly 3 psi, even at shut off it doesn't sit at 0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Last edited by a moderator:

OMFGeofffff

Are there any other gauges out there that have that smoke lens?

turbowop

I threw my Marshalls out in favor of the Prosports. What piles of sh*t those were. It's saying something when you're replacing gauges with "better" Prosports. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

OMFGeofffff,
The auto meter phantoms have the smoked/tinted look, but are much more pricey.

Last edited by a moderator:

conquesttsi

I will 'doarn my flame suit for this...

I have the same gauges and tried to come off the fuse panel for the switch. I had intermittent issues like you all have described with changing colors.

I was able to get it to work correctly but you won't like the solution.

I had to run a wire out through the firewall and I tapped the parking light harness on the positive side.

I am able to get the color change much more consistantly now.

I have found 2 things.

1. If you go right to headlights too fast the color change does not take. You need to turn the parking lights on a second first.

2. If the color change does not take the first time you need to shut all the lights down and wait a second for the electric charge to disipate then slowly go from parking to full lights.

After I figure this out I rarely have any issues with them, then again this car is not my daily driver.

If I could do it again...I would have bought Defi. I choose prosports not on price but on look. The green ones look very oem.

turbowop

I just wish Defi still made the old style link meters. The boost and EGT ones I have in 1051 are spot on to the factory gauges when lit up green. I've tried to find an oil pressure gauge to match for over a year with no luck. All that's available now is link meter BF's, which are the ones with the black face when shut off.

conquesttsi

That's a good point. By the time I was looking they had already stopped making the old style ones. Hence the Prosport gauges.

rost

I have prosport boost and air/fuel ratio.They were installed by the PO.Dont work.According to the PO they were working fine,untill one day both of them quit reading.They still turn on,i can change the color,but the boost gauge is always in vacuum -20 and air/fuel is just jumping around like crazy,or gets stuck in one position..

SmoothCustomer

I know this isn't a suggestion thread, but I bought an autometer phantom which is there lowest model gauge, and I will probably never buy autometer again. It works, and it seems somewhat accurate but it's just so cheap. The light looks cheap, the needle looks cheap (and a little ricey against our interiors), the tubing is cheap, the whole thing just feels cheap. From now on I think I'm going to just buy VDO. They are actually almost half the price of a phantom, and they just feel so solid and look so stock.

91GSR

i have a prosport boost and elec oil psi guage and both work perfectly fine. they show up white during the day and when i turn on my headlights they go orange. the only problem is if i turn on my wipers they go back white...but i never drive my boosted car in the rain anyway cuz in VA thats just not smart..people dont know how to drive here. i wired the red wire to the stock wire for the light from my stock boost gauge, ground obviously to ground, white light wire to the interior accessory fuse and orange light wire to the headlight fuse. works great. i agree the boost gauge reads about 2 psi low but thats ok cuz its just a reference. my tuning setup logs all that stuff for me....

ApexHunter

Quoting OMFGeofffff:

Check out these: STRI

I'd say the quality is considerably better than Prosport, but expect to pay for it.

turbowop

I'm bringing this thread back up because I hate these piece of sh*t gauges.

Oil pressure gauge started reading 100psi pegged awhile back, even with the car not running. I buy a new sender...same f***ing problem.

Then there is the lighting issues that everybody in this thread talked about. I spent a couple of hours today wiring in a relay that is switched by the illumination wire so I can get these bitches to light up green at night. Turn key to ACC, gauges come on white, turn on park lights, ONE f***ing gauge turns green, turn on headlights, that gauge turns back to white. I will never ever ever ever f***ing buy Chinese/Taiwan gauges ever again, even if it's only for 503/1000. f*** me I hate these things. #firstworldproblems

Vr4junkie

You should give Glow Shift a try I bought a boost and oil pressure gauge and didn't have a problem with them and about the same price as a Prosport.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

Quoting ApexHunter:
Quoting OMFGeofffff:

Check out these: STRI

I'd say the quality is considerably better than Prosport, but expect to pay for it.

After some more time, i'm gonna have to say i have lost some faith in some of the STRI product line, particularly the X Line series. They have been hit or miss.

Defi is pretty much the only gauge manufacturer i've had flawless history with. Go figure, they are made by Nippon Seiki. VDO's are pretty reliable too, as someone else said.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts