The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

To keep or to trash? (#40)

alik

This is a car with history. Not a good history. It sat (blown engine) for some 3 years while I was getting around to it. Even after the engine transplant, it's still a ball of wax.
Problems are abound. Rocker panels are full of rust. Hood is damaged (and rotten at the lip). Front bumper is hanging off (the corners do not make contact with the body, only the bolts behind the turn signals). Rear bumper is hanging on by the rust that holds it together (I'd hate to think what would happen if I got badly hit in the ass). Gas tank is leaking at the seam. Engine is displaying the uneven idle (revs up, revs down, up and down until it settles). Despite the Cyclone intake, I'm sure it's down on power. There's a horrendous oil leak that I'm gonna try to address tomorrow (my mechanic says that it's coming from the oil pump seal).
My mechanic also says that he wouldn't put any more money into the car. But, then, there are the following factors.
I like that it's #40. The engine is Frankenstein (6bolt block with 1g rods and 2g pistons), turbo (no play) is Evo III 16g. Interior is very nice (apart from f***ing idiotic automatic seat belts), no rips or tears. Sunroof works. A/C doesn't. Cruise does, and heat is there. Drivetrain is solid (no issues so far), and no, I haven't done the 5-lug conversion. (couple of sets of wheels on factory rims).

My issue is that I'd hate to trash the car. If I can help it, I wanna keep it on the road. But, for this car to get to "cherry" state, it needs a shitload of work. Right now, I'm just focused on making it safe and reliable (yeah, right! It's a DSM!!!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Yet, even if I had to junk it, not only do I not want to do it because the value I'd get would be barely enough to break even with what I've spent (body would get junked, 6-bolt would sell, interior? rims?), but I'd be crushing a piece of history.

Yet, I'd hate to think that I'm sinking cash and effort (thank God for understanding mechanic who allows me to use the lift at no charge!) into something that will never be reliable and safe, nevermind pristine.

Thoughts?

IncorpoRatedX

part it out and crush it. sounds like a basket case

Kibby

Ill give you my opinion. I had to replace my entire front chasis harness. Between prepping the replacement harness removing the old and installing the new for me doing it my first time it took quite a few hours. But afterwards I felt accomplished since everything worked perfectly as soon as I started it. Anything you can do laborwise to keep it comes down to the level of dedication. Im getting ready to dump almost 3g to completely restore my crx. Why? First of all I get 45-50mpg with ac and I threw away my last crx years ago. I respect my cars to the end if I plan to keep them. My galant needs the underbody repaired new fenders rebuild engine tranny trans case driveshaft etc. But I still have it. It all comes down to dedication

Jesus_Negros

Challenge car that bitch!

donniekak

Crush it. All the 90's turbo mitsu owners would be served well if all the crap examples were removed from the universe, only leaving good examples for all to see.

IncorpoRatedX

^ OK Hitler.....

BpuVR4

Quoting alik:
(yeah, right! It's a DSM!!!) Thoughts?

no no no no

donniekak

Seriously, people are always complaining about the general opinion of gvr4's, dsm's, and 3000gt's. Maybe the public opinion would be a little higher, as well as book value, if there weren't 100 f****d off examples either driving around, or rusting in the yard for every clean example.

92_talon_awd

Strip it down to one seat with no interior or windows and Rallycross that beast.

alik

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
Strip it down to one seat with no interior or windows and Rallycross that beast.

I like that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JCorbo25

My recommendation would be to drive it until the wheels fall off, then find a nice clean shell and swap parts over. Or part out and junk it if you don't have time to keep it going.

alik

Lol. Last time I did that, the engine fell out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Problem is that right now the car is not safe. The oil leak is being taken care of right now (faulty oil pump seal), but the gas tank needs to be fixed/swapped. Problem is, the rear bumper is completely rotted, and taking off the gas tank will result in a mound of rust and non-existent bumper. I'm kinda thinking of having somebody manufacture a crash bar to go inside the rear bumper.
Shocks are shot. FatCatMotorsports is taking his sweet f***ing time sending my Evo shocks & springs back (sent it to him years ago to get revalved, and so far he's only managed to take them apart). Car needs the front bumper fixed (it's not on straight), and the hood is dying to be replaced.

It's an issue of having a JSB car that's in dire need of attention to be even safe on the road...

JCorbo25

If that's the case, scrap it and start over with a cleaner example.

ade

find a clean shell and swap away.

89Patches

I have an idea!!! Grow some balls and fix it!! Lol Your probably making it out worse then it really is, Well unless your a hack then sell it.

No one likes hacks.

LIV4PSI

Throw away the rear bumper beam, and buy some new shocks. That isn't worth scrapping a car. Nor is a messed up hood or crooked bumper

Jesus_Negros

Just turn it into a beat race car. Should be fun!

alik

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Throw away the rear bumper beam, and buy some new shocks. That isn't worth scrapping a car. Nor is a messed up hood or crooked bumper

Then that's what I'll do.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned