The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tips for installing Energy Suspension front sway bushings

LIV4PSI

Those stupid hook brackets are killing me. The best technique I have found is to install the hook end of the bracket, let the bracket come down over the sway bar, and then try to slide the bushing though the bracket. I can't get it to work though, and nothing else I have tried even comes close. Any tips are appreciated.

ktmrider

Find a bolt about 25mm longer than the original. Run it down with the long one then swap for the std/shorter bolt.

LIV4PSI

When I install the bushing onto the sway bar first, then slide the hook end of the bracket into the subframe, there isn't enough room for the bracket to swing down. I am no where near getting a bolt started. I may post a pic later.

DynastyLCD

when i did mine, i used a prybar, and a philips screwdriver. stick the screwdriver through the eye of the bracket that holds the bushing on, and use it to guide to the threaded end. then pry the bracket into place. it sucks either way you cut it. they are not fun at all.

ktmrider

Quoting LIV4PSI:
When I install the bushing onto the sway bar first, then slide the hook end of the bracket into the subframe, there isn't enough room for the bracket to swing down. I am no where near getting a bolt started. I may post a pic later.

I just did this last month. Stay with your current order but find a (much) longer bolt to bring everyting into proper position.

I tried other methods but this worked easy-peasy.

LIV4PSI

Thanks for the help guys. I will post back my results shortly. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds the hook brackets to be a pain in the ass.

EHmotorsports

Ya they are a pain. I used c clamps to hold the bracket down so I could start the bolt.

LIV4PSI

So, almost a month later I finally got the bushings installed. I got tired of messing with it and started working on other stuff.

Some tips for anyone who does this install.
-Let the bushings sit in hot water for awhile, it soften them up just enough to help
-I used a rotary tool to clean up the inside of the sway bar brackets. It helped.
-Pull the bracket/bushing down by hand after installing the hook end worked best for me. I tried prying down with a screw driver, but it kept pulling the hook end out of the slot.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned