The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing tools

mcbride89

I know this is a newb question but here goes anyway.

I understand the tensioner tool applies tension so you can remove the t-belt with the tensior still in the car. But what about the pulley tool?

Is it meant to just hold the pulley in place while you torque it down? I've read the vfaq and it seems easy enough. Just nothing I've read or seen has showed the tool in use. I need to get my car done and can make the tensioner tool easily and the pulley tool I feel I can make out of some flat stock and bolts to fit those holes. Also what's the torque that needs to be applied?

Sorry for these dumb questions lol

Ant

AWDPower

The other tool is for setting the pre tension and holding the pulley steady while you torque it. I have one, but haven't used it for years when a pin broke off. I found that using a pair of snap ring pliers is easier. I found that if I set the holes in the pulley in the 11 o'clock position before pulling the tensioner pin with a new belt, it comes out right the first time most of the time. The goal is to get the gap between the tensioner arm and body correct, and you have to get the pre tension right to do that.

Boostin_AWD

I have all three pieces. The cam gear block, tensioner rod and the pully tool. The cam block is nice when you go to throw the belt on, you don't have to fight the springs to line up the cam marks. The tensioner rod is just so you don't have to unbolt the tensioner and use a vise to push the rod back in. The pully tool is to set the pre tension on the belt with the tensioner pully. The tension on the belt with the hydraulic tensioner depressed is 24 in/lbs. You have to set that with a dial, beam or electronic torque wrench. You can't use a click type because the torque will adjust when it clicks. After the belt is installed you turn the engine over a few times by hand and then set it at tdc. Let it sit 15 minutes. Then measure the gap between the body of the tensioner and the tensioning arm. I use drill bits. Slide them up against the hydraulic tensioner arm. Clearance should be .15-.18in. I've used the method of just setting the holes at 11 and 1 or making sure the pin will slide in and out of the tensioner many times and had no problems. But my talon is way pickey with the gates racing belt. I'm thinking its just due to the belt being much stiffer than a standard belt. I have to set it up pretty loose or the oil pump is very unhappy.

Last edited:

Boostin_AWD

I have all three pieces. The cam gear block, tensioner rod and the pully tool. The cam block is nice when you go to throw the belt on, you don't have to fight the springs to line up the cam marks. The tensioner rod is just do you don't have to unbolt the tensioner and use a vise to push the rod back in. The pully tool is to set the pre tension on the belt with the tensioner pully. The tension on the belt with the hydraulic tensioner depressed is 24 in/lbs. You have to set that with a dial, beam or electronic torque wrench. You can't use a click type because the torque will adjust when it clicks. After the belt is installed you turn the engine over a few times by hand and then set it at tdc. Let it sit 15 minutes. Then measure the gap between the body of the tensioner and the tensioning arm. I use drill bits. Slide them up against the hydraulic tensioner arm. Clearance should be .15-.18in. I've used the method of just setting the holes at 11 and 1 or making sure the pin will slide in and out of the tensioner many times and had no problems. But my talon is way pickey with the gates racing belt. I'm thinking its just due to the belt being much stiffer than a standard belt. I have to set it up pretty loose or the oil pump is very unhappy.

galant651

heres what the tool looks like, it works really good. the easiest way to set it up is to make sure you can pull the timing tensioner in and out, if you cant put it back in when you pull it then its either to loose or to tight.
img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts