The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing maps

DSMlink users.. What kind of timing maps are you guys running?
My setup is a 8.5:1 2.0, FP2 cams, GT3071R, 1000CC injectors.
At the moment I'm running factory 2G base timing maps as I find 1G factory to be a little bit on the aggressive side.
How do you guys feel about factory Evo timing maps?

prove_it

Love them. Works great with high octane fuel, works ok with lower octane.

I usually start a tune with the EVO maps.

prove_it

less aggressive with better ramp up. The 1G maps are by far very aggressive due to the factory 7.8:1 compression ratio used. I've used 1G maps with E85 and even with the octane the 1G map still preforms worse than the EVO maps.

I don't recall seeing anyone using the stock 1G maps with link. Most seem to start with the EVO maps and dial them in.

I'm running V2 still and I'm having a little trouble finding a base Evo map, know where I might be able to come up with one? The 2G map really falls on its face in the high rpm but this is my first experience with tuning so I'm going very conservative to start. I also have a wideband, which is nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

matt92vr4

Thanks for the info. I've been running a 1G map with 9.0:1 pistons for the past 4000 miles. Fortunately I have the boost set low to 10psi. I'll give the 2G a shot.

marvinmadman

Quoting PoppaSmurf:
I'm running V2 still and I'm having a little trouble finding a base Evo map, know where I might be able to come up with one? The 2G map really falls on its face in the high rpm but this is my first experience with tuning so I'm going very conservative to start. I also have a wideband, which is nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

click

diambo4life

I don't use EVO maps. I start with the 1G base map and modify it. I actually typically just modify the mid to upper half of that map. Is the 1G timing aggressive for piss 91 and anything more than the stock boost? Yes. For a car on E85, especially with a built engine, you can be more aggressive with the tune and make more power. Just my 2 cents.

I'm 8.5:1 on a GT3071R with a 15 psi gate spring. I live in CO so 91 is what we got. I appreciate your input but its probably best for me to stay far far away from 1G maps until springtime when I can set this thing up proper for E85 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matt.. I am running v2, can I still load that into my ECU or is that v3 exclusive?

prove_it

I haven't played with v2, but I think your limited to just the sliders.

Time to upgrade. Call and talk with Thomas Dorry at Ecmlink. He might hook you up with a upgrade to V3 full for 100-150 bucks.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting diambo4life:
I don't use EVO maps. I start with the 1G base map and modify it. I actually typically just modify the mid to upper half of that map. Is the 1G timing aggressive for piss 91 and anything more than the stock boost? Yes. For a car on E85, especially with a built engine, you can be more aggressive with the tune and make more power. Just my 2 cents.

^This.

I typically only use the Evo maps when I'm having lots of trouble with knock. The Evo maps are too tame to make good power in most applications, IMO.

I'd strongly reccomend spending the money to upgrade from V2. The upgrade from V1-V2 to V3 is $195. click

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
Call and talk with Thomas Dorry at Ecmlink.

Just FYI, it's Tom Dorris.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned