The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

timing light

ercp98

i have a timing light with a manual dial to adjust / advance timing.
i dont have a manual on how to use it. i got it for free.

(flame suit on) to use this timing light to set base timing, i ground pin by firewall, hook up leads to ground , positive, and plug number one.

my question is, do i set the manual dial to five or to zero?

thanks in advance.

thanks for the replies. but i think i explained my self wrong.
i am talking about the dial on the actual timing light. like the one in the picture. do i set the dial to 5 when i set base timing or i set it to zero?

img.php

Last edited:

fuel

Set to 5 deg by moving the CAS when timing terminal is grounded, instructions here - click

James

If your car is a dirty as mine, you would want to jack her up take off the drive front wheel to gain easy access to the "TDC" plate and clean it. Also find the notch in the pully and mark it with whiteout.

Terry Posten

After everything is connected as you already stated, engine at full temp, and a steady 800 revs, if you leave the dail at 0, then turn CAS so the mark is at 5 on the timing cover. If you want to turn the dial to 5, then adjust the CAS so the mark is at TDC, or 0 on the timing cover.

The dial takes all the guess work out of it. Questions like advanced timing, or retarded timing based on looking at the scale on the timing cover.

Last edited:

BpuVR4

i didnt use an adjustable light yesterday, and i used the cam gear marks and might i say it was unbelievable how much smoother the motor runs now. im shaking my head.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned