The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing Belt part numbers

Hey guys, I see from searching the forum that most recommend OEM replacement. Reading the VFAQ, they list the psrts you should replace when doing the timing belt...namely:
MD182295 Balance Shaft Belt
MD326059 Timing Belt
MD129355 Timing Belt Idler Pulley*
MD156604 Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley
MD115976 Balance Belt Tensioner
MD164533 Timing Belt Tensioner
MD972052 Water Pump
MB568898 A/C Belt (4PK 940 - i.e., roughly 940mm long, I believe, can use 37.0" belt, maybe 36.5)
MD178430 Power Steering Belt (660)
MD186126 Alternator/Water Pump Belt (4PK 990, Old # MD137594, can use 38.5" belt)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MD121986 1G lower timing belt cover gaskets
MD156770 (the ones on the cover often dry out and break off)
MD006665
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MD376608 Crank Pulley - A good idea if your car has high mileage

I wanted to order this from RockAuto but none of these part numbers match. Trying to search by the description yeilds a lot of parts and it's a bit confusing. Anyone have the part numbers from RockAuto I should order? If not, does anyone recommend a website to order all this from?

BrandonEchols

Those are all Mitsubishi factory part numbers.
Go to your local dealer and order them.
ooooorrrr.....if I were you I'd order the Kit from JNZ, and get rid of the balance shafts while you're in there...that's what I'm getting ready to do.

Last edited:

Thanks for the rely. I thought RockAuto sells OEM or at least same as OEM quality parts no? As for JNZ kit, I read a few posts where people said the quality wasn't good so they just ended up not using it, even after ordering it...so I was hesitant to even buy that. But even if I bought it, the kit doesn't include all those parts listed above.

I guess OEM from factory then?

jepherz

Staff member
JNZ is OEM factory Mitsubhishi parts. That is the type of belt (mainly the timing belt) that people will tell you to use.

Rock auto is OE meaning they fit, but they may be a different manufacturer. In any case, none of the parts are going to say "Mitsubishi" on them. However, that doesn't mean said company doesn't make the OEM parts for Mitsu.

Last edited:

BrandonEchols

^Exactly what I was going to say.
I've heard that Contitech makes the OEM belt for mitsubishi, but I can't say that for certain.
I know you can get a contitech kit online for about $75 or so, but that's without the hydraulic tensioner, water pump, etc.
I think if you do the timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley and water pump + get rid of the balance shafts while you're there...you should be golden.

Last edited:

Ok, thanks guys. But wow, so just in parts to do a timing belt on these cars is $3-400?? Pretty pricey eh...

jepherz

Staff member
Maybe, I do them enough where i don't replace all the parts every time though. And you technically only need to do it every 60,000 miles....so it's not THAT expensive.

DSSA

Quoting derekmw:
Ok, thanks guys. But wow, so just in parts to do a timing belt on these cars is $3-400?? Pretty pricey eh...

Compared to what other cars using OEM stuff??

Unless you're working on a single-cam Civc or something, $300-$400 to do everything with OEM parts on most cars will run that or more.

Yeah, I guess I'm used to the single cam honda engines I used to do...much cheaper there. Just with how old this car was, I was expecting less. With water pump and a/c, alternator, p/s belts, total came to $580 just in parts...just wasn't expecting that. But I'd rather do it right than skimp on this area. A local DSM gy from the dsm forums is going to do the belt job for me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned