The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing belt gear markings

FullPEAK

Doing my first timing belt guys. Looked all the past post. Galant repair manual and YouTube videos. I haven't took my old belt off yet but how does this look? The marks on the gears are getting no better than that. Would you consider it "good" to go forward ?

G

Staff member
A few things are off.

brisvr4

The timing marks on the cam gears should line up close to the top of the head. Give it a couple more turns to see if they end up ok. The oil pump timing mark isn't lined up either.
I normally lie a metal ruler along the head between the gear with the valve cover off of course.
You will have to clock the exhaust cam back a little while you put the belt on too.

Last edited:

transparentdsm

that thing must have been vibrating something good at idle and highway speeds with the oil pump balancer 180* out. other then that it just looks like a warn out belt and tensioner that have stretched and pushed. lucky he is doing it now before something went seriously wrong. i just did the timing on my talon and it was almost this bad. except the oil pump, mine was only 1/2 tooth out along with crank after i locked the cam gears and it left a large amount of play between the gears.

kumfasa

Cam gears are out by at least a tooth maybe two. The marks should line up with the surface of the head where it meets the valve cover. Your marks are way too high. Dsmgraveyard had a good video on YouTube showing how to align the oil pump gear once the belt is off.

kumfasa

If they are stock replacements... just follow your nose. (Cant think why you be replacing the stockers unless something got broken)
I'm assuming your talking about adjustable cam gears. The link below is hands down the best video based explanation of setting up cams and adjustable gears I have come across.

click

If you follow it up with Cylinder Head 206 you'll know more than most people who put cam gears on there cars.
Unless your changing your cams from stock and getting serious about squeezing every last drop of power out of your camshafts/valvetrain, its pretty much pointles changing the cam gears.

FullPEAK

Yes you are correct one of the cam gears are broken. I was just going to swap it out with another stock one that I have. Thank you for the help also.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts