The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing at high base idle

vtecds1

I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find a definite answer...

My tuner set my idle at 1000rpm and i am seeing 12-13 degrees timing via Ecmlink. Should the timing be set at 5BTDC regardless if its at 800rpm or not? I've been having stalling issues coming to a stoplight ever since the tune, hence why he raised the idle and the coasting offset. But it didn't solve my problem. I checked for leaks, cleaned the t-body and changed the seals, delete fiav and tested the isc already. Need some info fellas or this thing will sit another 5yrs in the garage.

gramkrakr89

The base timing is set via grounding the timing adjust terminal and, using a timing (strobe) light from the ignition on cyl#1, turning the CAS until the mark on the crank lines up with the 5deg mark on the lower timing cover.

ECMlink can only tell you how much the ignition timing is being advanced/retarded from its ASSUMED base value. If you have reason to suspect that the BASE timing was set incorrectly, you will need to readjust it.

vtecds1

I set the car at 5degrees BTDC before the tune at 800rpm...But now that he raised my idle(timing is higher), should I set it back to 5degrees or is it ok at 11-12 degrees?

Last edited:

beaner

If the CAS is physically adjusted correctly so base ignition timing is 5 degrees, it will not change based on the ecu idle setting. The timing jumping around like you see at idle is normal.

Jason G.

Quoting vtecds1:
I set the car at 5degrees BTDC before the tune at 800rpm...But now that he raised my idle(timing is higher), should I set it back to 5degrees or is it ok at 11-12 degrees?

no

turbowop

Did you readjust the BISS to account for the higher programmed idle?

If your CAS hasn't moved since the last time it was set properly, it should be fine at that setting, whether your car is setup to idle at 800 or 1000. But you need to adjust the BISS to 1000rpm so that the ECU isn't moving the ISC out of its range in an attempt to get the thing to idle at that RPM if the BISS is still set for 800rpm.

vtecds1

Sorry guys...i dont know how to multi quote so please bare with me.

Jason G- Sounds good.

Turbowop- I'm pretty sure it has'nt moved since i made a mark by the cas when I set the timing before the tune, but i will have some time tomorrow to check. I did re adjust the biss yesterday as the isc count @1k was around 35, now its running around 28-30. I dont know if it should be fluctuating or not though.

Beaner & gramkrakr89- I might be able to post a screen shot, but I dont think that would help any.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts