The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

This car cracks me up

4thStroke

So, it seems that lately I have been plagued with problems. This has all taken place in the last couple months.

When the new motor was put in (ok, longer than a couple months back, but the problem is still there), I used brand new gaskets everywhere. Everywhere. The bitch still leaks oil, I have yet to pinpoint the exact location, but I did manage to slow it down so I have a good idea where its coming from, just not sure what the problem is.

The new tranny was leaking fluid (installed after I grenaded a built tranny), but then suddenly stopped when I brought it to have looked at. Go figure.

I thought I had fixed the water leak from the rear windows, my car quit fogging up so bad once that was adressed. Then the rear passenger side roof started leaking pretty bad, so I covered it with duct tape, but the car kept fogging, just not as bad.

A coolant smell at random times inside the car.

Later on, I found that my rear passenger side carpet was soaked. I was hoping one of my water bottle was left open.

Turbo coolant line broke.

My EWG dump tube broke shortly after that was resolved.

It developed a sudden 45+mph on throttle vibration, I think the driveline carrier bearing broke away. I found a missing tranny-to-block bolt and one was backed out to the point where there was no torque on it at all.

Then it was time for emissions. Ive spent over $100 in fees and denatured alcohol to try get it through. The tags are now expired and its been sitting for the last couple weeks.

I came across a great oppurtunity and had to jump. Front and rear Evo 8 seats for $300, in good shape. I figured once the seats were out it would be a good time to pressure wash and dye the carpet, so I ripped the carpet out. Thats when I found the answer to a previous issue. There was signs of coolant on the front passenger side floor as well. Im just stumped how it ended up pooling in the rear. Did it travel through the floor vent?

WG line rubbed the exhaust manifold just right and wore a hole in it (I should have been more cautious with the routing), letting the turbo hit an easy 35psi at 3/4 throttle on pump gas.

Its almost to the point Im scared to drive the car. I realize Ive done a lot of sh*t that has caused certain parts to fail quicker, but stupid issues keep popping up. When it rains, it pours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

With that said, who wants to buy my car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

GIjoe

^^I'd buy your evo seats for $300? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Instead of adding more things to the car, why not spend that money locating & fixing the issues 1st?

4thStroke

Aside from the seats and taking care of the ratty interior, thats what I plan on doing. Most of the stuff is taken care of or Im in the process of adressing, its just that before I know it, something else will pop up. Its been one thing after another.

I just dont anticipate turbo coolant lines and dump tubes to break on me out of the blue. The dump tube had only a few thousand miles on it.

Last edited:

My advise after working on DSM's for the last 10 years is to work slow, be organized, and double check everything. There is really quite a lot going on with these machines, and over time the issues you describe can pile up, take them on one at a time and eventually you will be able to enjoy your car.

004tsi

Quoting 4thStroke:

Then it was time for emissions. Ive spent over $100 in fees and denatured alcohol to try get it through. The tags are now expired and its been sitting for the last couple weeks.

couple gallons of regular and retard the timing all the way.... ask me how i know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif don't even need a cat
btw i could use the seats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

4thStroke

004tsi, my problem was that I had hot start enrichment checked on ECM link. My fault on that one, but its just one of those things you dont really think about. It would have been fine if I didnt have to shut the car off so they could get the signal from my battery. My cig. lighter is dead and blows the fuse immediately.

I got it warmed up well, 87oct, and denatured alcohol in the tank, and retarded the timing a bunch and bumped up the idle. I should be able to get it through this next time once I get the car back on the road.

I tried to dye the headliner today. No dice. The dye washed right out. Evidently the fabric used is not compatible with Rit. I'll be picking up a new wrap here soon enough.

The car is going to be completely different on the inside. Black interior with Evo 8 Recaros. I cant wait.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned