The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thinking about converting to automatic..

hey whats going on, Im interested in converting my galant to automatic. I just need to now witch transmission is better, a 1g or 2g. Im leaning toward a 2g and Know ill end up notching the frame rail to clear the trans. But other then that is it just like a 1g? wiring wise that is. Im planning on a manu-matic set up just to make the swap easier but I was curious if the wiring is different between the 1g/2g. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated

Gizmovr4

The 1g vs 2g automatic transmission question comes up all the time - whats wrong with using a 1G?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif good to 9.3@146 and counting...

I read that the 2g was better then the 1g, But I was just curious as to why? Ive read that the 2g has a lock up TQ and the 1g doesnt, but I dont know what the difference is.

Gizmovr4

I guess I should ask- what are you using the car for? There is no advantage in racing by having lockup since its only for overdrive. The only thing that may be better is the selection of torque converters- there is a billet torque converter available but pricy at ~$2000. Other than that no advantage from 1g to 2g trans.

Last edited:

Im looking to street drive it and run quarter and eighth mile runs, I'm looking for reliability, consistancey and hopefully get good gas mileage

rexwagon1909

I'm in the middle of auto swap. I went 2g based on availability, lockup and my friend has done a couple swaps. I can attest its far easier to do a 1g swap, there are more converter choices, and really no modification. With 2g you need a Kiggly 6 bolt adapter, starter plate, intermediate shaft, 2g auto trans harness, need to modify speed sensor, cut your frame rail, and run a Précis axle on pass side, and 2g on driver. I looked for quite sometime for all 1g stuff, and found everything from a 2g cheap and had only 33k on drivetrain so I jumped on it. Months later (before I started on swap) there are 1g auto stuff everywhere lol of course. Either way you go your gonna get about the same results 1g or 2g. I should have some pics posted and hopefully can do a write up for everyone. I also got a great deal on a custom 2g 4500 stall converter 1 off based on a 1.5 mirage that is a 10 inch converter instead of the 10.9 inch stock converter. My car should run low low 10s full interior pump/meth possible high 9s on race gas. At the end of the day autos with a shift kit, new front clutches and end clutches (if you use 4th gear) will handle alot of abuse. I have seen over 800 crank hp not faze them at all. Food for thought

Thanks for the information, I'm new to the autos and just want to make sure I purchase the better of the two. I found a great price on a 2g but I think I'm going to wait and find a 1g

Mark

and people thought I was crazy when I was one of the first ones doing it... Now everybody is doing it.

prove_it

If you compare the cost of a built manual trans and clutch to an auto swap, the auto clearly steps out and is more desirable. My buddy had over $1700 in clutches with 700whp with his built $3500 trans before he finally went auto. Think it cost somewhere around $1000 for everything. If I were to build a drag car, it would be auto.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts