The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Thermostat pigtails

birdman24

Hello so as I was reconnecting all of my sensors I noticed that all of my wiring to the thermostat housing was very brittle, so brittle that as I sat down the harness three of the four broke off and one is currently missing.

Does anyone know where I could get some pigtails to replace the missing one or any quick fix ideas?

Thanks,
Terence

LIV4PSI

Go to a junkyard. They are the same for most 1G cars that has a 4G63. It doesn't have to even be from a turbo car.

Last edited:

JNR

I used small female spade terminals that have the plastic housing around them and butt-spliced (works fine if you know what you're doing and use the proper crimping tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) farther down the harness, and covered it all in shrink tubing, which not only protects it, but keeps in in proper orientation (for the bottom one); also did this for my COP connectors...seems to work just fine and looks decent.

This is a quick snapshot of another pic I posted [click for larger], that captures both of these connectors (one on top and the other bottom of thermo housing):

Last edited:

turbowop

The worst one is usually the one on top, that turns on the pusher fan at extremely high temps. I found the same connector at the junkyard on a Diamante. On that car, it was in an area where it wasn't exposed to such temperatures or pointed straight up like in our cars so it was in great shape. Also, the connector for the fan switch at the bottom of the radiator works as well. Junkyards are great for pigtails and OE nuts/bolts. I actually just nabbed that pigtail last Friday and when I showed it to the cashier at the junkyard, he just waived me by since it was such a small item. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

89Mirageman

^I do the same thing and get that "why didn't you steal that like everybody else" look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Also be sure to check early to mid 90's Hyundai Elantras and Sonatas at the junkyards. Most of the connectors are in better shape from what I've seen compared to the dsm/galant stuff. They don't get picked over as much either.

birdman24

Lol thanks for the great info guys, hopefully my car will be done and I'll see you guys at the shootout if youre going.

Thanks,
Terence

EMX5636

I will have to research and get back to you, but I'm almost positive you can swap in a GM coolant temp sensor, and pigtail's are available from any auto parts store.

Edit for link.

click

Sorry for the weird wiki setup, and not sure why they needed to tap it, because IIRC mine went right in with thread sealer. I think someone noted it reads about 3* different at most while logging both back to back.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned