The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Hertz

Staff member
Quote:
You have seen it?

Pwnt.

But seriously, will we ever see it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

JB

It would make one hell of a part out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

quasimondo

Quote:
Quote:
You have seen it?

Pwnt.

But seriously, will we ever see it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I'm beginning to question the existence of said GVR-4. I think we've been hoodwinked, shamrocked, and bamboozled by Paul. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

JB

and the bs flag goes up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

curtis

I just got back from picking them up. 50 mph on the interstate no fun. You owe me steak and beer Paul.

As you can see there not much bigger than the factory seats sorry about the dust.

I'll pull the passenger seat in a few days and see how it looks and also the rear. Our rear seats are super thick on the bottom in the aft are where these are at an angle so these will fit really easily I'm thinking. By the way Paul if you can incorporate the center console you'll have the only vr4 with built in cup holders. Don't ask I've already started measuring It looks easy I can take a junkyard center console and graft to the forward section of the GTO and then cover in suede to match. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

cheekychimp

Quote:
It would make one hell of a part out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
and the bs flag goes up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Agggghhhh ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ... stick a sock in it !!! Seriously guys I am sorry. But I refuse to rush this. I said a long time ago being posted back to the vice squad in the middle of this project was a nightmare. I just have a zero social life. The tour ends in about a month, I'll get my life back and I'll most likely take a few weeks off to do some work on the car.

Harry, I know you are taunting me in good faith ... all I can say is when I get the new headliner in I will taunt you 24/7 for failing to take the time to do it on No.3 before you welded your cage in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Part out? JB I told you ... you'll go to your grave holding that thought. It ain't gonna happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Things come up. The centre console thing Curtis mentioned. Crazy? At first sight yes. But consider this. Go look at a GTO in your local dealer. Look at the handbrake. Curtis just confirmed that it is in exactly the same position as the one on a JDM Galant. This console is the same width as the Galant's but about 4 inches longer. It will take up a little extra space on the transmission tunnel to the rear but seeing as the rear bench is being converted to two seats only, so what.

The project is getting crazier as time goes by but things are falling into place like even I could never have imagined. I got set back 12 months because of my career. I'm thousands of miles from home with none of my family, relatives or friends to lend a hand. Let's get this stuff from Curtis and see how things start moving in a month or so.

Meanwhile I'll take some pictures of the shell and skid plates etc.

JB

A brother can dream, cant he?

curtis

If it gets parted out I have dibs on the seats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif By the way the leather shift knob assemble will have to be fabed with a used talon shifter handle to work itshas a two bolt flange on it. If you don't want it I'll use it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif hint hint just messing. Its weighted and if we get the gto e brake will match perfect except it will have a sixth gear on it. Something to dream about later on. As for the install I've been measuring and pricing. I went by the dealer this morning. Priced a matching e brake assembly. Paul its $85 for the lever and the tech wasn't sure about the brackets underneath. I now have the wiring diagram of the seat so It just got easier to power it up.

Now the funny part. I don't know exact numbers that Paul payed for the seats and or shipping from the junkyard ( I know it wasn't anything close to this) but from the dealer here goes. The front seat covers not to include headrests $1426 each thats $2800 total. The rear seats are $416 for the back and $612 for the bottom times two for each side. The back center didn't come up but he figured it was a few hundred then the seats them-self he said would probably be well over a grand for the foam and brackets. The power motors which I think there is six of are around a hundred a piece. He said the arm rest would probably be around $1000 complete if you had to buy every piece. He did say that the seats direct from the factory would be cheaper as an assembly but they didn't come up on the database. But he said from them that what we got would have been close to 5K. If you want to use the factory gto switches in the console I have to hit a junkyard and match up some gm harnesses that will plug and play.

Man you could have bought a pair of his and her's VR4's for what there worth.

Your headliner was done this morning. He didn't cut any holes for lights or handholds so if you want it clean and perfect with the cage. He was working on the visors when I left. The amsoil list is dropped off and I have to call the guy back about the status this evening if I get a chance. We talked about the seats and insetting suede and he's scared because of the value of them and getting the Frenched edge back perfect Frenched edges are sew with a double needle machine and from the factory are computer controlled he has a single needle and by hand would almost be impossible to replicate.

As you can see guys this is a daily thing for me and paul We do marathon messages sometimes 4 times a day. This way I killed two birds with one stone. Got to go I have to straighten batman's head.

curtis

Ok for fab work to the seats for the rear......NONE....They work.
As for the car about an hour and thats it. For the tops Ours have hooks that stick out on the support that holds the package tray. Paul cut them off. Then after you get the seats you'll have to cut 4 small rectangles out for the factory GTO tabs to lock in. As for the bottoms theres to hooks that will line up with two holes you'll have to drill from there you could buy some rivinuts or just get untder the car and weld a nut or just run a bolt through the hole and have someone tighten it. As for the bottoms the factory brace in our cars line up. The problem is that the clip locks in the GTO seats are wider than ours so you'll have to build some small boxes with thin steel and rivit or weld in place these will give support and give the seats comething to clip on. Our resident junkyard guy could cut them off of the GTO in his yard to make life easier but this isn't a big deal.. Done there mounted now what your left with is two voids on the sides. Which have air spaces going to the trunk will help on letting sound and air pressure out so the subs don't rupture the deck speakers. Plus 1 on this. As for the coverings a stereo shop over there that does fiberglass could do it or I can see if I can get it done here with the guy with the zapco hemi magnum I met last week. Then cover in suede to match your headliner. You could use balsa wood or the aluminum honeycomb to save weight and strenght to the fiberglass. Hook ups for electronics could be there inside storage what ever you want could be done its a good sized area and could get as elaborate as you want. Or say piss on it and just cut a piece of carpet to match and attach to a piece of heavy cardboard or aluminum that is cut to fit. Let me know what you think on this one. It really should be done after the seats are in your car so it flows and matches perfect to your installed height etc.

The package tray works fine which I was afraid of the only visual problem I see if from the rear where you see the zipper you could die the fabric or just build a panel with two arches and cover in suede. After we get every thing finalized I get a few extra yards of suede so everything can be covered and you'll have extra.

Now for space I'm six foot and I climbed in the back and had a sit down. Almost wanted a nap. Pleanty of space and are sitting at the perfect angle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Before you ask the little pockets on the outside edges hold a plastic piece on an elastic string to a child can sit back there and route the belt through it and not rub them in the face. You'll need this in the future.

You owe me yet another steak or one of the patty's pork chops for making me pull the baby seat out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Patty's is a place about 75 miles from here in Kentucky the pork is to die for, grilled outside and the size of a porterhouse steak except 2.5 inches thick.

Enjoy Paul.

curtis

Well nothing to do on my end Paul. They work and fit perfect. The problem I had with the crx seats is there so thin from top to bottom I had to raise them and there still lower than factory...Well yours are thick and have full motion control with memory recall etc. If you position them just as I have your long legs will fit and nothing will rub. The rears will need two boxes / tabs welded to the floor I would bend a piece of steel and bolt to the floor with a large bolt aand then bolt the frame to them. As for the front drill a hole trough the floor weld a nut on the back side done. The only interferance its the forward mount points as the seat moves forwar the rails hit so You'll have to cut them out and weld in a flat plate to the floor this would help on strenght anyway. To beat it all the handle next to the shoulder that unlocks the back to tile even clears the b pillar there perfect. The console will be tight but I thing will work fine. I would sit the seats in move them as close to the doors and b pillar as posible so the handle doesn't hit mark then drill then mount and then start with the center console. Two or 4 tabs welded/ attached with rivits to the floor with nutplates for the console to mount to is all you need. just center the shifter first.

All of the pictures are of the seats as low as they can in the rear with the front about half way up in normal driving position. The diagram I have has the full layout of the seats these have a memory function for different drivers I think all you need is a switch.

My lab assistant says your spoiled and get everything you want. She wants to keep one for her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yet again enjoy the show...

cheekychimp

You aren't kidding, this interior is exceptionally cool and I could never have imagined it would fit this good. The seats are actually a godsend. The old seats were far too tall. If I can just mount these on the floor by cutting out the front rail, I'll gain an extra couple of inches of headroom for sure. The only limiting factor will be the cage as that will give less clearance at the sides. Worst scenario is I'll just have to shorten the tilt levers. It isn't as if they'll be used much in a 4-dr!

The centre console is also pretty sweet. I'm looking at getting some pigtails both for the switches and the power seats. It would be nice to integrate the mirror controls and door locks. The console also has some neat storage cubby holes and vent for the rear seat pasengers ... take a look

curtis

Paul the seat pig tails are there I used the large blue wire (ground) and the large orange (12V) to power them up to move. As for the handle its the only way to unlock for tilt action. Yes it could be shortened or a new one made.

I just tryed to pull up the wiring diagram that the dealership gave me but I don't have a log in or a user id or password. http://service.gm.com Maybe someone here works for GM that would hook you up and get you in or pull up the console and seat wiring and email to you. I'll put the

turboflanagan

That is just not right.

I am now officially boycotting this entire project.

When this thing never gets finished, you guys can all thank me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Those are some killer seats!
I have a set from a Viper in black and blue that I love, but will probably never get around to using in anything. I would love to sell them and get them out of my way.

Keep plugging away Paul. I'm sure your grandkids will enjoy finishing up a project like your's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

V8EATER

I've got all of the parts for the completion of the GTO project- we got one in with only 36 miles on it, so it's ripe for the picking.

cheekychimp

Quote:

When this thing never gets finished, you guys can all thank me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm sure your grandkids will enjoy finishing up a project like your's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That's only because I'm still waiting on that bloody carpet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned