The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Quote:
These things evidently don't travel well

Tell me about it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
I still love you (No-/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif-HoMo) though, Paul.

Got some info on the F1 stuff so I'll try and PM you ASAP

turboflanagan

If he crates one, what if he put a thick plastic bag over a section, sprayes some Great Stuff on it as a padding for shipping. Then when it gets there, just peel the bag of thick foam padding off and voila... cf rice, imean, uh, po-po bling, er whatever.

cheekychimp

Yeah Curtis recommended expansion foam, but I think Paulo has just had enough of this and has lost money on both these trunks already. We'll probably rig everything up on a stock trunk and go from there. We'll figure something out, don't worry.

Street Surgeon

Yikes, huge thread you've got here!!! You definitely have the parts, now it's time to get em in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheekychimp

Well it has taken some time, there have been a few setbacks and we are still waiting on a few difficult to source items but finally, finally we are making some progress.

Harry's brackets came in ... I asked him to send me a pair of just the brackets for his harness bar. We shortened the 'ears' on them and drilled some new holes to match placement of the manual belts. As soon as we get around to welding a bracket onto the roll bar we will have yet another chassis fixing point for the half roll cage. I know it wouldn't pass tech at the track but it will significantly increase the chassis rigidity which was what it was really about anyway.

The dash and all interior trim is going in a crate on Monday to get 'flocked'. Yes the whole interior from pillar trims, to dash, to kick panels is getting the WRC treatment.

The water pipe is being modified as we speak. It will no longer run behind the exhaust manifold and turbo picking up unwanted heat and then entering the radiator 'directly below' the top hose. The new section will come down straight beside the water pump and alternator and run into the radiator on that side avoiding the turbo and exhaust manifold (more room to fit the turbo) and improving flow across the new Evo III Koyo radiator.

Got some of this to solve my intercooler woes

And it looks pretty good installed on this AMG grille I had lying around

After that I got down to playing with Curtis' lights. Do you think this will be enough firepower?

That's FIVE yes I said FIVE sets of HIDs

HB4s and HB3s for the main lights and projectors and H3s for the Projector Fogs

And they look pretty good mounted

The ballast units are nice and shiny and come with plug and play connectors and nice mounting brackets

Fitting the bulbs in the Projector Fogs isn't easy. It is a lot more cramped down there

I didn't want to lose these waterproof caps

So I had to get creative

in order to keep things waterproof

I'm still not 100% happy with it. The grommet is still pushing against the back of the bulb there. I had to trim off all the heat wrap to get it to fit as well which isn't ideal, but at least it is waterproof. Anyway I'll test the fitted bulb and make sure it works and that there are no pinched wires or damaged connections and if it is okay I'll do the other side. Those are the projectors by the way. The fogs are going to be even more difficult. The amber lens that Curtis put in may well not allow the HID bulbs (which are longer) to fit. If they don't I can make up a spacer but that will also lift the back of the bulb even higher making it very unlikely that the dust caps will fit. If that happens I'll have to make a modified grommet that will allow the back of the bulb with the heat wrap on it to poke through and use some silicone sealant or something to keep everything watertight. I'll get there.

Picked up a damn near perfect Galant GTi rack so I can just rip all the 4WS stuff out and never have to worry about blocking off lines. Also got a really rusty bar with brackets on for fitting the skid plate. I have to give it back, the owner just lent it to me to use as a model to fabricate mine from. But that's cool. It gives me a good excuse to make mine out of stainless ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Well that's the progress for today. We'll see what Monday brings !!!

Paul.

curtis

Quote:
Yikes, huge thread you've got here!!! You definitely have the parts, now it's time to get em in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

This a warning to all drivers in the 100 k/m area of the front of Paul's car ...wear protective eye wear
Also Paul build a bus for all the power wires and also a ground bus before you run to the relays for the hid power supplies. It will keep the voltage the same through out and be less of a chance of fire. This will also keep the lights the identical voltage and color.
Relays are cheap and you could even use a factory under hood fuse box from a VR4 and use the relays in it. Factory clean. I just used one for the Passat fans last week. With all the electronics under my desk than I'll be shipping you It wouldn't hurt buying 3.
Don't ask peeps..........It's top secret.

Glad to hear that everything is going together and wish I could be there to help out. I promise to PM about the tails this week and talk about what to ship now and later.

cheekychimp

Progress Report!

Well I got all the HIDs in eventually and they work. I'm still worried about the ones behind the amber lenses shifting. Curtis is going to send me a Lexus bulb fitting to see if I can modify that, but for now the fogs are functional.

The stainless support for the skid plate is done but yet to be picked up (my 'other' VR4 crapped out on me and is still waiting to be fixed).

Stoptech e-mailed me and said the front discs are finally on their way after some quality control issue, so massive 380 mm rotors should be here on the 9th June.

The dash, centre console, glovebox, Centre Dash Gauge Pod, Handbrake cover and all interior trim (B and C pillars, seat belt trims, sills and seat handles etc) are all back from being flocked by Ford's factory rally car flocking installation and will be delivered Saturday.

We were getting too close to comfort on the June 20th "DEREGISTRATION" deadline, so I chickened out on stripping the car and took some friend's advice and put it back together stock and got it tested and licensed this week. This takes the pressure off and means we won't have to rush the build up. I think we were pushing it a bit to be honest as there are still a few gaps in the inventory.

Anyway I'll get the 'before' pictures this week and try to keep on top of the build up.

can't wait to see. I feel sorry for anyone just seeing this thread. They won't be able to read all the history behind the 'Ultimate' but I think they'll get the picture eventually. Keep on plugging Paul. Oh and goodmorning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Oh my! That is one amazing build up!

This is what happens when I sold my VR4 and left the board for a year. Sheesh!!! I will readily admit that I am now very, very jealous. You are one lucky individual! I did not read a whole lot of the 16 pages but I am guessing the build is taking place in Hong Kong? If so that is pretty awsome that people are shipping parts to you and helping out!

The in-car computer is trick! I see why there are all of the James Bond comments. I can not wait to see a finished project! Keep up the good work!

cheekychimp

Brake Discs !!!

Or if you prefer a graphic representation ...

The flocking won't be here until next week. I chickened out of the delivery today as we have had thunderstorms and flooding here for days ... of course after cancelling the delivery it didn't rain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

464/2K

heeeey i see you got your hair back! OMG those rotors are nuts!

steve

No Paul has got a head like Beetlejuice at the end of the movie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

steve

LOL OMFG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

quasimondo

I spit lemonade all over my monitor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

steve

... earlier, in downtown Hong Kong... Cheeky Cheek shows off the Bling Bling to his homies... yo.

img.php

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned