The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The Difference on a GVR4 and an Evo8 Knock Sensor?

EgonOlsen

Ok, I got into a little argument with a friend over this.
Basically the Evo8 sensor got installed in my vr4 with the claim that its the same as the vr4 oem sensor.

Now Ive read all the Evo8 Ecu swap threads and feel I can say with confidence that they are NOT the same and that the Evo8 ecu cant read the 1G sensor.

However this is kinda the otehr way around, can the gvr4 ecu read the evo8 knock sensor. (with no engine management other than standard)

Im not all that techsavvy, but I claimed that the evo8 sensor would NOT work in my gvr4.
He still claims it will work fine.

So to all of you, which is correct and what is the difference on the 2?

swe_gvr4_1991

Not the same. Period.

The 1G and GVR4 ECU's have a dedicated add-on board that processes the audio signal.
From EVO1 and up this processing is done directly in the code.

If you have both sensors hooked up to a scope you might narrow down how the signal differs.

prove_it

You can only use a 1g sensor. A 2g will not work, an evo won't work either. You can still get them from the dealer, but I think Advance auto sells a reboxed oem sensor. Search the forum as it has been discussed.

Diego

No^. Or at least I haven't seen that option/function in Link

Diego

swe_gvr4_1991

Like i said in my first reply the 1G ECU has no way of processing the different audio signal.
Get a 1G KS. Even if you have to pull it out of a NA it's better than the EVO KS.

prove_it

NA does not have a knock sensor. Buy new. It's like 40-60 bucks. Don't cheap out on engine sensors.

ONLY a 1G knock sensor will work, unless you have an AEM system or Motec your stuck with ONLY the oem 1g knock sensor

/thread.

done. for reals..

swe_gvr4_1991

Since Egon is from Europe we have KS in our NA cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But i totally agree with you prove_it.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

Ok I get it. No Evo8 Sensor unless you have AEM or Evo8 Ecu.

Will the wrong sensor throw a CEL? or just dont work?

prove_it

Won't work, will throw the car into knock settings.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts