The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

the build of 806/1000

Gombos

So I thought i'd start a build thread 806 since i'm starting to make pretty good progress on it. Hoping to have it running for the shootout even though some things might not be finished (paint/underbody cleaning/etc).

I guess i'll start from when I bought 806, which is my first galant even though i've been messing around with a few DSM's since 03-04.

In the summer of 2011 I was DDing my 96 GSX. It had some issues, which were only minor, but the fact that it had a decent amount of rust led me to getting rid of it.

My 2g after the first trip to the track. Ran a best of 12.50 @ 109.76 on an old 14b I had laying around.

I've always wanted a galant but just never pursued getting one. After looking for a while to find one that was relatively rust free, Dan S. aka garage_defeat sent me a link for a belize green galant that was stock, rust free, and was selling for the right price. After a 5+ hour trip each way to a town near syracuse NY, I had 806 back home.

One of the first pictures I took after I picked her up.

The car needed the usual maintenance and was just dirty overall. This was mainly due to it sitting in a barn for the previous 2 years. It didn't take too long for me to get to work on it. In the following two weeks I swapped motors with one that I had sitting in my garage with the balance shafts already deleted and ARP head studs/cometic head gasket...it was an otherwise stock motor.

Empty bay

New timing belt

Putting the motor back in

First start

About a week after the first start up, I was off to the the shootout where I had a good time and met a bunch of the galant guys.

Gombos

Fast forward to the spring of 2012. Over the winter I picked up a few parts in preparation to make a little more power.

Picked up injectors, walbro 255, Fuel lab regulator, PTE/lucas 1200cc injectors, ETS FMIC, TiAL BOV/wastegate, and an HX35 with the BEP bolt-on housing. Spring break was hectic as I spent all of my time prepping, fitting, and installing everything for the HX35. I guess I should also not that at this time the car has been running on an AEM EMS for a few months.

The car pulled pretty good but didn't seem quite right. A leak down test showed the exhaust valves leaking pretty good on the #2 cylinder. After seeing that, I just continued to be easy on the car and DDed it until I graduated, got a job, and picked up something new for a DD.

Last edited:

Gombos

Again I acquired parts over the winter in preparation for a full rebuild as well as a few cosmetic parts.

I picked up a nice set of front and rear JDM bumpers, JIC coilovers, Full Race exhaust manifold, Wiseco HD pistons, Manley turbo tuff rods, and a few other misc parts.

Got the HX35 rebuilt

cleaned up the engine harness. Repaired brittle wires, removed anything that was not necessary, wired up the mustang IAC and TPS, and included all the extras such as the wideband in the harness for a stock-ish look.

New quick release injector clips

Gombos

I also forgot to mention that I put evo 8 seats (F/R) and steering wheel in, I picked up everything to do a 5 lug swap, and started to clean up and paint the engine bay (Satin black).

As of now i'm waiting for parts and for the machine shop to finish up the bottom end. I'm sure I missed a few things that I will add and will continue to update everything as it progresses.

Vr4junkie

looking nice cant wait to paint my engine bay and do my wiring keep up the good work and the pictures flowing.

LIV4PSI

That's a nice list of parts going onto your VR4!

I love seeing other people post pics of 1501 it's first Shootout. I'm looking foward to this years pics, especially since GSX-TC will be there to put out cones and organize. I'm always too drunk for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

calcaliente

Damn same internals as me! Nice set up!

Gombos

Thanks for the compliments guys. Should have the bottom end back this week and the JMF intake in two weeks or so. Also hoping to get the head porting done so I can send it to the machine shop by saturday, but i'm sure that will get pushed back. I picked up 3 evo 8 wheels from my buddy steve this weekend (rolled his evo and one was bent)for a good deal, so I'll take some pictures and get them up tonight.

I also wanted thank Steve and Dan (Garage_defeat) because most, if not all, of the used stuff I've picked up has come from them. They've helped me out a ton, not only with, parts but also as guys I can bounce ideas off of.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Sounds like a very win-win situation you have going on. Good to see a healthy membership in your area. Kudos to the contributors! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gombos

Ya for sure. Dan and Steve are a big help.

Picked up some evo wheels like I was saying earlier. They need cleaned up a bit and powder coated, but should turn out looking pretty good.

Also got my scirocco rad mounted

Gombos

Started to Port my head tonight...

First intake runner done

5OF2k

Quoting Gombos:

First intake runner done

Looks good! Have access to a flow bench as well?

-Jake

GSX_TC

Nice!

Gombos

Actually, the machine shop I'm taking it to does have a flow bench. Need to see what it costs to get a number. This is my first time porting a head, so I'd be interested to see how well it flows.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Quoting Gombos:

About a week after the first start up, I was off to the the shootout where I had a good time and met a bunch of the galant guys.

Haha just barely saw this pic, that's me on the far left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting LIV4PSI:

I love seeing other people post pics of 1501 it's first Shootout. I'm looking foward to this years pics, especially since GSX_TC will be there to put out cones and organize. I'm always too drunk for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Lol yep, can't wait! Cones and signs are ready too. Michael Gombos suggested a good idea that all the VR4's take a cruise somewhere then go eat. And somewhere in between we can take pics of all of us where ever we go.

Last edited:

Gombos

As I said i'm a little behind with the porting, but I just finished up the intake side, so i'm half way there. As for the shootout, i'm definitely in for a cruise or something. I'll be there either late Wednesday or early Thursday. I'll be at Cedar Point all day Thursday but I'm free any other time.

Gombos

Still waiting on my bottom end. Turns out there was an issue with one of the pistons...the groove for the spiro loc wasn't cut deep enough and the spiro loc wouldn't fit. The machine shop spoke with wiseco and sent the pistons back. Hopefully those will be back by the end of the week.

I finished up the intake ports and I'm about halfway done with the exhaust side.

Also I finally got my plate from my 2g registered to the galant (don't mind the rusted bolts...need to pick up some stainless ones)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

Quoting Gombos:

First intake runner done

You will need to take the sharp edge off of the intake runner. Need to smooth it and round it to where it will be a minimum of 1/8th wide.
Otherwise it's a nice shiny paperweight.

Here's a pic of the center divider. And a little more would be even better.
null-27.jpg

Last edited:

Gombos

Thanks for the advice, I have changed some things since this pic was taken.

Started to get some parts in, the head is just about finished, and i'm still waiting on the block, unfortunately.

Kiggly springs

cam gears

Kiggly HLA regulator

I also picked up all new timing belt components, Felpro Permatorque HG, L-19 studs, and some misc gaskets.

The intake is supposed to be here tomorrow and at that point, the only thing I'll need to assemble the motor is a valve job and the bottom end back.

It's coming along slowly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts