The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The answer to a long standing question... 17 Gallons

s_firestone

That is how much fuel I was able to pump into the Galant after running out of gas (only had to push the car about 50 feet, which is about as far as I would ever want to push this car).

I have rarely ever been able to get more than 15.4 gallons in the tank when filling up. The capacity of the fuel tank is listed in the service manual as 16.3 Gallons. I attribute being able to get .7 gallons more than the rated capacity to expansion of the fuel vessel (due to the weight of the fuel) and maybe filling up into the filler neck. I turned on the key so the fuel pump would be running after about the first few gallons (so any air would be purged from the loop, and so the tank level would not drop). Temperature was in the 50s F (but had been colder). I literally gave up after 10 minutes of filling up and the fuel level never finished dropping. I think I could have squeezed another few 10ths.

gvr4ever

How many miles did you get out of that tank? Or, did you start out with a full tank...

Also, I didn't think turning the key on started the fuel pump. Unless you rewired something.

turbowop

I actually drove up to a gas pump last winter while on a ski trip in Idaho. I realized what a close call I had after I pumped in 17 gallons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

GIjoe

Quoting s_firestone:
That is how much fuel I was able to pump into the Galant after running out of gas (only had to push the car about 50 feet, which is about as far as I would ever want to push this car).

I have rarely ever been able to get more than 15.4 gallons in the tank when filling up. The capacity of the fuel tank is listed in the service manual as 16.3 Gallons. I attribute being able to get .7 gallons more than the rated capacity to expansion of the fuel vessel (due to the weight of the fuel) and maybe filling up into the filler neck. I turned on the key so the fuel pump would be running after about the first few gallons (so any air would be purged from the loop, and so the tank level would not drop). Temperature was in the 50s F (but had been colder). I literally gave up after 10 minutes of filling up and the fuel level never finished dropping. I think I could have squeezed another few 10ths.

AFAIK all tanks can be filled with more than their rated capacity, in order to minimize your chances of running out.

SmoothCustomer

I overflowed mine once. I didn't even think it was possible because they are supposed to shut of when gas touches the nozzle.

s_firestone

Quoting gvr4ever:
How many miles did you get out of that tank? Or, did you start out with a full tank...

Also, I didn't think turning the key on started the fuel pump. Unless you rewired something.

I didn't look, I was somewhere around 300 but my wife had been the last one to fill up and she won't sit there for the extra time it takes to get another gallon. I had been noticing recently that my gauge would not peg out at full after filling up. But it did this time, pegged it.

raptorWagon

Quoting gvr4ever:

That's what I thought the final conclusion was too, that the key had to be in the start position/starting the engine for the pump to kick on.

Struc

On 56/1000, my fuel pump turns on for about 5 seconds when put in the "ON" position. Fuel pressure leaks off immediately upon the pump turning off, so my fuel pressure gauge confirms it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned