The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tensioner Pulley Tool

Spyder

Does anyone know what the part number is of the tensioner pulley tool is? The one that allows you to apply the correct torque. I have searched through the forums and can't find it.

Thanks.

s_firestone

You really don't need it. The trick is to install the hydraulic tensioner with the pin in. Use a socket wrench on the tensioner and a long "L" shaped allen wrench that will fit in the tensioner pulley hole. As you rotate the allen wrench clockwise, it will rest against the socket, giving you leverage. Look at roughly how the two tensioner pulley holes are aligned before you dissemble it. You want to get the front-most tensioner hole about 10PM to 11PM (the holes should end up about 45 degrees to the front of the car or maybe a little past that).

Someone chime in and confirm the angle of this for me, it's been a while...

Tighten the tensioner pulley bolt. Remove the allen wrench and socket wrench. Pull the pin, and rotate the crank 6 turns (to realign all the timing marks). Wait 15 minutes for the hydraulic tensioner to settle. If you can put the pin back in the tensioner(even tightly), its correct. I believe a 5/32" drillbit inserted between the hydraulic tensioner and the tensioner arm is the correct spacing.

If if is not right, simply start over. Do it as many times as you need until you feel comfortable and repeatable. When you have it right, the pin will insert back in the hole (it may not make it through the back hole).

Tip: Save that pin, it always comes in handy to have an extra.

Here is a picture illustrating what I am talking about with using the allen wrench and socket to tension. This is the pre-tighten position.

That being said, here is a link to the timing tools on JNZ. Not OEM, but it probably works just the same and is cheaper.
Tools on JNZ Tuning

beaner

Quoting Spyder:
Does anyone know what the part number is of the tensioner pulley tool is? The one that allows you to apply the correct torque. I have searched through the forums and can't find it.

Thanks.

MD998738

See: 1 2

Ian M

I have one,I don't know who made it but it's just a 8mmx1.25 threaded rod with a taper ground on one end (to locate hole in tensioner) and a nut welded on the other end. I imagine the metric threaded rod came from Fastenall or somewhere like that.

AWDPower

I've used quite a few tools as replacements since a pin broke off mine years ago. I've found that a pair of large snap ring pliers works best. With the pliers, I can hold the tensioner in position when I tighten the bolt, since it tries to rotate when you torque it. I usually have the best luck setting the pulley in the 11- 11:30 position before the pin is pulled with a new belt. Note that it is a lot more trial and error with a used belt.

Barnes

When I helped Galactica with his t-belt a few weeks ago we used two 1/8" drill bits and a flat head screw driver. Worked pretty good. Except we bent one of the bits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

broxma

I use two special flat head screwdrivers. One I use to hold down the arm onto the tensioner, the other I pry on the back of the pulley and tighten the belt. I then pull out my third hand and tighten the bolt on the eccentric pulley.

Actually I have a secret I use where I can do all three things with just two hands but I'll never tell.

/brox

dewman

^^^Awww c'mon Duke. Spill the beans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

4wheelsqueal

Or you can get the tool from CKA in the for sale section for doing the timing tension. Works like a charm.

Y dont u guys just make the tool its easy i took my old tool for taking the grindingvwheel off my 3" grinder filed the old pins down and drilled two holes for rollpins that fitvin tensioner and spot welded back of roll pin to make sure it didnt fall out

beaner

Compressing with the tool makes the job insanely easier. Also, the tensioner doesn't like to move that much that fast, so pulling the pin probably isn't the best for it. Even with the tool I end up redoing it a few times. Getting that gap within spec is all that matters. I use my feeler gauge for the gap and 90 degree needle nose to clock the pulley.

thedsmguy

So, I always thought that if you could put the pin back in the tensioner that it was just a touch to tight? I thought the hole needed to be just level with the top of tensioner so you basically cant see it if looking straight on and not so high to put the pin back in the hole if its above the tensioner, I know there is a actual measurement to be used for pin height, anyone have a link or actual info?

Thanks.

Barnes

The VFAQ has the trick you can use to get an actual measurement. All you need is two drill bits.

"Measure the auto tensioner push rod position with a drill bit (distance between the tensioner arm and auto tensioner body) to ensure that it falls within the specification of 3.8-4.5 mm (.15-.18 in.) as shown in Figure 21."

So a 3/16 bit should be just too big to fit between the tensioner arm and the flat of the top of the tensioner body. You have to lay the drill bit all the way across so it lands on both sides of the tensioner body to get an acurate messurement. And the opening should be big enough that a 5/32" bit fits. You can get more accurate if you have more bits, but using these two bits generally puts you in the right range.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/timingbelt-1G.html

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts