The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TEIN upper pillow mount issues

prove_it

I installed EVO 8 struts and springs a while back. I also ordered the TEIN upper mounts for the VR4 back during the group buy. I've had them sitting around and finally decided to install them. Well, I'm not happy. For some reason the front suspension is now sitting about 1 inch higher than it did with the stock top hats. I took the plates out and checked everything, and nothing is wrong. I know the EVO struts will add positive camber, but I also noted that with the plates I can't go a couple marks past the 0 mark. Basically the camber is maxed at about .5 degrees negative. It won't go more because the top spring perch will hit the body. This seems like the camber is way way too positive.

When I installed the suspension I did cut the springs to the desired 8" free length.

I'm not sure why I gained the travel and why the camber is so positive, any ideas folks?

citymunky

sell them to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

I just might. I'm going to order some strut bolt eccentrics and see how much negative gain I can get.

blacksheep

This is due to the design of the camber plate or something. I had the same thing happen to me when I had put tein plates on my Evo MR and Robispec explained it to me...I don't remember the details sadly!

prove_it

What did you do to correct it?

turbowop

Maybe the higher ride height is due using the plates on stock struts, be them GVR4 or Evo. But the plates themselves don't cause any issue with positive camber on our cars. That's an issue with the Evo strut bottom bracket. Due to the large strut/spring keeping you from being able to camber in using the plates, you'll just have to use eccentric bolts at the bottom bracket. Those plates were made for coilovers that use small diameter springs. They allow way more clearance when cambering in the top of the strut.

blacksheep

Wop - I think you are right. Yes, I didn't get positive camber etc - my issue was just the ride height was increased after the plates.

I did nothing to fix it - just accepted that's the way it was. Or before someone comes and says it, I will say it - Yes, I sold it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

I pulled it all apart to inspect and I think I see why. Right under the the bearing is the spacer collar. I think this might be too thick. There is more than enough clearance for the plate to move. For now I just trimmed my spring down to compensate. It's weird though, one side is 1/2" higher than the other. Passenger front is higher. Odd. Some day I'll be able to get some swift springs and hopefully get this right.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned