The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tear down and rebuild of MadBeachDSM's #145/2000

TurboTrader

Oooh! I love new parts. I can't wait to have the head done.

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

1mm oversize intake valves, standard exhaust valves, all stainless.

Not much more progress to add unfortunately. It's been a very long week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TurboTrader

Thank God it's Saturday! Finally had a chance to get some good work in. I decided to go ahead and finish re-coating the rest of the sub-frame pieces.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Couple little runs, no biggie. I'll go back through and color-sand once it cures, buff it out a bit. Should look great in the finished bay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TurboTrader

Ahh, finally some progress to share after a long 7-days with nothing done which seemed like an eternity.

Engine bay is primed and almost ready for a base coat. I'm glad to see it all white without all the scratches, dirt and grease.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

I should be dropping my head off with Mike, Modern Automotive Dynamics here in Jacksonville this weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And think I'm about set on the parts I need for the head.

These came in last week. Brass valve guides.

IMG_0673.jpg

A set of Supertech valve stem seals also arrived from Street Tuned Motorsports. Short of the springs, I'm set on the head. Still debating on the Evo springs, stockers, or standard BCs. I'll decide for sure shortly.

broxma

I'm sure you know but, stock evo's are beehive and good for 8-8.5K. For the money, 50.00 or so on EvoM, can't be beat. I'm a big fan and used them with Evo 9 valves, 3g lifters and am comfortable with my choice.

And for all those looking to do a full teardown/rebuild. Paint your engine bay. There is no better way to make that underhood look good again. I approve of this build.

/brox

TurboTrader

Thank you for the kind words! I feel painting the bay is necessary always. It works out well, since I'm going to be waiting to get my block back from the machine shop, and on my head anyway. Anyone pulling their motor out usually has free time in between, so why not make use of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm really leaning towards the Evo springs. I don't plan to rev anything over redline, but it's good cheap insurance just in case of a missed shift.

TurboTrader

Oh, and I think I may have to halt the painting on the front half of the bay. I really need to get an angle grinder to cut some of the radiator support area, and still planning something under the stock battery spot so I can bring some cool air into the intake, so pretty much a custom air box. I'm also going to see if I can't toy with a good spot for the air oil cooler. I'm thinking somewhere in the area of where the ABS block used to be.

broxma

I took a large section of my radiator support out with a dremel which was a total blast. What sucks is now my new pipes won't be using the same route so it was all for not. Chances are I'll be doing the pipe setup/IC next weekend, maybe even the new turbo setup if things work out as planned.

I mounted my Volvo Oil cooler behind the grill bolted to the radiator cross support. It sits at an angle but is not visible from the front for the most part. The only clue it is there is the two Stainless lines running from the OFH. I can send you a picture if you'd like.

/brox

TurboTrader

Quoting broxma:
I took a large section of my radiator support out with a dremel which was a total blast. What sucks is now my new pipes won't be using the same route so it was all for not. Chances are I'll be doing the pipe setup/IC next weekend, maybe even the new turbo setup if things work out as planned.

I mounted my Volvo Oil cooler behind the grill bolted to the radiator cross support. It sits at an angle but is not visible from the front for the most part. The only clue it is there is the two Stainless lines running from the OFH. I can send you a picture if you'd like.

/brox

That doesn't sound like much fun at all. LOL. I was thinking about mounting mine just behind the grille, I had an air/oil cooler in the Eclipse GS (turbo converted), it was originally mounted between the radiator and FMIC. I was seeing coolant temps in the 210-215 range. I moved the oil cooler to where the fog light would be, and saw temps rarely over 200. Keep in mind it was with the stock radiator, but sandwiching can allow for some soak I feel. The key is cool oil as well, so I will definitely need to play with some ideas, and may just mount it there anyway considering the Galant has much more frontal cooling area than an Eclipse. We'll see what I come up with, a bit of a ways out anyhow.

Quoting scout:

nice work. looks clean

Thank you!

---------------------

More update finally! Work's been busy...

I've been toying around with ideas on what to do with the firewall, if anything besides matching White, particularly the area where the sound deadening used to be from the factory. For a couple reasons, I decided not to go with White in this area to match the bay, the main reason is that I plan to tuck the wiring slightly lower down, but it will still be visible slightly from above.

So, this is what I came up with:

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

It's VHT Wrinkle Black.

I'm pretty pleased, and feel it will contrast nicely with the rest of the color plans for the bay. Of course the rest of the bay will be Summit White matched.

The plans so far are to stick with White, Black and Silver for the bay to keep with a nice clean look/feel. I'm also playing around with the idea of throwing a splash of Gold in there somewhere. The valve cover will be PC'ed a Metallic Silver, similar to the factory valve cover, but shaved.

TurboTrader

I forgot to add as well, considering the fact that I will be going with a built tranny in the future. Thinking about how poorly even the best clear-coated paint holds up when it comes to banging a tranny, or anything hard and blunt against it, I'm eyeballing the frame-rails on either side. Not sure if anyone here has had experience with the VHT coating, but it is very durable to say the least. I don't want to go overboard with the wrinkle Black, but am strongly considering coating the frame rails with it as well for durability.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned