The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TD05 16G - what would cause these bent fins?

fuel

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

On the VR-4 - I pulled the turbo off to replace the manifold with an Evo III one and noticed this. It seemed to run well with no unusual noises from the turbo, I've been running no more than 14-15psi of boost max, and the shaft seems to have little to no play etc. There is a small amount of oil through the turbo outlet pipe and intercooler hose, but I think that's coming from the breather joining the inlet pipe after the AFM as there's a little bit of oil in the intake pipe also.

Thoughts?

CutlassJim

Random and incorrect. Shaft play would cause the blades to be ground down around the sides but not bent like that. That was a foreign object. I'm guessing something soft by the lack of damage. I hade a friend who's turbo ate the rubber spacer and bent th blades. Worked fine but sounded like a kazoo.

524of1000

pull your hot side IC pipe and check the IC, the object is probably there. My first rebuild began when my stock intake pipe dried out and cracked. The turbo Nomed some of the pieces and broke most of the fins. I kept the pieces in a bag to remind me that F.O.D. sucks.

alansupra94

Quoting CutlassJim:
Random and incorrect. Shaft play would cause the blades to be ground down around the sides but not bent like that. That was a foreign object. I'm guessing something soft by the lack of damage. I hade a friend who's turbo ate the rubber spacer and bent th blades. Worked fine but sounded like a kazoo.

I would have payed a fortune for that.

Barnes

Quoting yeti:
Hair

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflpuke.gif

fuel

haha wish mine sounded like a kazoo but it seemed to sound/spool up/boost like normal. I kinda need to get the car running again soon so might slap on a spare TD04HL I have while I sort out the TD05.

Diego

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Quoting yeti:
Hair

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflpuke.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflpuke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned