The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tach signal w/o ECU

Gimpin

I am getting ready to set up my Autronic but the SMC model doesnt come with tach out put. Is there anyway I can wire in the tach so that I dont need the factory ECU or an MSD box of sorts?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Dan, I *believe* the tach and ecu share the tach signal.

(As in the ecu doesn't "make" the tach signal.)

This means you may be good to go as is...

Just hook up your new ecu/icemaker/ronco matic engine management system, leave the car harness alone and see what happens.

Caveat Wrencher If you let any magic smoke out trying this, I'm a gonna delete this post and pretend I'm still out on the road, somewhere where there's no intraweb... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/arriba.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

grocery_getter

If you are using a 91-94 coil pack and transistor package, the tach signal can be sourced from the transistor pin out. There is a pin that is labeled "tach" on it.

If you are using 90 coil pack and transistor package, the tach signal can be sourced out of the little 3 prong 1" by 1" black box attached to the coil pack bracket.

Gimpin

thanks ... great info guys

next question ... do you know if these cars use "smart coils"

grocery_getter

No, these aren't smart coils, that's why we have to run a separate transistor/igniter setup on stock coil.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts