The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Swift springs on kybs and agx's.

Bstiles

Hey everyone. First, I want to say that I am pretty much suspension illiterate, so if you can explain things to me like I'm a child, that would be great.

I've been trying to find some stock gvr4 springs, but while researching coilovers I learned about Swift springs (screenshot from stmtuned's website below). Can I put these on my kyb front struts and agx rears?? How do I determine the size I need? And lastly, what the hell should I choose as far as spring rates go? I do a lot of annoying city driving with lots of shitty streets and potholes (Indianapolis). Thanks

Screenshot_20220213-190241_Chrome.jpg

tyeler18

I don't have any experience running coil springs on dsm/galant stock struts but I do have a home built swift coilover setup on my e30 that would require basically the same approach. This is a common coilover path for e30 guys since the strut tubes are welded to the knuckle. You'd want to cut the spring buckets off the struts and either slip a coilover sleeve onto the weld for the spring bucket (how mines done) or machine a ring for a snap ring and spring seat (dennis grant 2g dsm style). Post 33 and 38 of my build thread here should give you some idea as to what needs done.

As far and spring size and spring rates go it would depend on what collar you used. My amazon specials are 2.5" spring collars so I have 2.5" swift springs. Something in the 450lb front and 350lb rear spring rates would be a relatively comfortable spring rate although AGX's in general are valved stiffer. 550/400 or 450 would be a more performance oriented rate but stiffer. You'll need a 7-8" long spring.

tyeler18

Thank you for the reply. Looks similar to this? Except for you bought koni damper inserts?

It's basically a poor mans GC kit yes. I didn't want the Eibach springs that come with the GC kit so I opted for a cheaper sleeve knowing I was junking the springs that came with them. $45 for the sleeves and $300 for 4 swift springs in the rates/lengths that I wanted. I'm using bilstein inserts on my e30 but that doesn't really help you here.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I assembled coilovers on my AGX maybe 10 years ago. I removed the stock lower spring mount (designed for coil springs with a tail) and used shaft clamps sized to the shock body to hold the threaded sleeve. I bought the threaded sleeves and top retainers from some local stock car parts store. Fairly cheap.

I used Tein camber plates for top and bottom both front and rear so I don't have the stock tops in the equation any more. I believe I bought Eibach springs (I may have had some from other vehicles lying around too). I don't recall what rates, but I could check next week when I get home.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned