The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SUSPENSION/keep stock or upgrade ?

frogman

Fellow VR-4 enthusiasts,

Great site.
I need advice on suspension for a street/sport setup.
I have kept my car stock. i purchased it with 17,000 miles and now have 193,000.
Left front strut is broken.
What suspension setups have you used that are reliable and truly improve the handling ?

Last edited:

dewman

Good god, you've have your car,since like what,it was a year old? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif You don't mention whether you want full coilovers or a normal upgraded spring/shock combo.

AnotherNewb

You should probably tell us what you want to spend and what your car is used for. The options are plentiful. Me personally, I try to upgrade from oem when its time to replace a wear item.

Oh and a pole is useless without more than one option. Kinda like voting when there is only one person is on the ballet.

frogman

Thanks for response.

Daily driver.
Which coil/over kits, or spring/shock upgrades work well.

Vote options...coil/over or upgrade spring/shock combo...

with how cheap and easy the coilovers for these cars are, i would go coil overs. if your not happy with the ride, easy adjustments, easy to swap springs out in front and/or rear

decent coilovers can be found for under a grand, and i wouldnt cut any springs, completely ridiculous and ruins the spring tremendously.

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthCaliVR4

Springs & shocks, only gvr4 specific springs I am aware of are the H&R brand. Struts KYB has both the AGX & GR2. gr2 is more oe & the AGX's are a high pressure adjustable. Monroe covers it but I think they suck & then you can do some more custom work & run koni yellows or convert to the evo suspension & run a bunch more options, also requires custom work.

I have the AGX/H&R combo on mine, It's ok. they ride a bit harsh but set @ 2 front & 4 rear it's a decent ride & handles well. whole set up will probably run around 600 with new front upper strut mounts. You do want new upper mounts done while you have the struts out. Also if you go that rout cut an inch off the bump stops & expect to want a couple coils cut out of the rear springs to get the car to sit level, well, less rake anyway. I think I cut one full coil but it may have been one and a half.

coil overs Start at over a grand & shoot up fast from there. I will move to coil-overs when all else has been done & I can really benefit from them.

Last edited:

Nartanian

Last edited:

BrandonEchols

Considered the Evo 8/9 route?
I hear the MR Bilsteins are about as good a ride as you can get on a street car?

curtis

MR Bilsteins are more forgiving than the KYB EVO 8 and 9 but I absolutely love the KYB I did for mine...Might want start a Florida thread since your new around here you got a multitude of way VR4 smart guys within toll booth distance of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned