The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

sun roof won't prop open

My sun roof slides back, but it won't prop open on one side. I gutted another vr4 that I bought wrecked, hoping to swap the entire unit into mine, but it has the same problem. Has anyone dealt with this? I tried searching the archives, but nothing stuck out to me. Thanks.

Pics will help. It props up only on one side. The switch for it might be screwed if it's just not working, but I've never heard of one side going up and not the other. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

It will do this if it physically broken. Sunroof in the black car has been dead for years, just like this. I can get it to slide back, but it will only pop up on one side. Some kinda pin is sheared off in the linkage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well since I've got the one from the wrecked car I'll see about taking that one apart and trying to find the broken part(s). Hopefully it's something stupid, because I personally know three cars that suffer from this, so I bet there are hundreds of other cars that are doing the same thing. It'd be nice to help out a bunch of guys.

belize1334

Personally I'd love to see some-one build an moon-roof replacement similar to what you find in a 1G. Remove the motor entirely and just make it hinged in the front with a prop/latch in the rear.

DR1665

As far as I know, this is the most common way they fail on these cars.

The one in 464/1000 sh*t the bed on me the first week I owned it. Pulled the good one out of 195/2000 and swapped it in. Lasted about two months before it died in the exact same way.

One of these days, I'm going to disassemble one of them and figure out exactly what cheap, plastic, PITA little part failed and have it copied in delrin, aluminum or steel. I fully plan on getting about 20 sets of these made at the same time.

The only downside is that you have to remove practically 70% of the interior to do the swap.

misterfixit

Hey all,

here's the section from the 1989 galant tehnology manual that shows how the sunroof mechanism works:

img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg
img.jpg

Hope this helps,

It, sounds like a cable problem. pull the side trim under the glass and there are 6 nuts holding the glass to the runners, Pull these and you can lift the glass out. Drop the interior light and you can pull the sunroof motor and gear assembly. Then you can manually run the side lift brackets either side both for ward and backward and check out the linkage from up top, and through the motor pinion hole underneath you can check to see the cable has all its teeth intact.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts