The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stripped threads

marvinmadman

Going to have to helicoil a couple holes on the trans. Bottom hole for the Transfer case and 1 hole for the trans mount. What's the size and pitch for these? I would like to have them ready for when I get it apart. Thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Should be 12 x 1.25. Not 100% sure, but 99%. I think I have had to do both of those same holes in the past, and I know I have a 12 x 1.25 kit.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't, but if you want to pay shipping I could loan it to you. I accumulate tools. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

marvinmadman

I'll let you know when I sit down a figure out my course of action. Thanks

marvinmadman

Reason being? Transfer case is rigged pretty good at the moment. Long bolt through with a nut on the stripped side. Seems pretty legit. Transmission hole has about a 1/4" of thread left at the bottom. I'm open to suggestions. Never used anything but helicoils. Haven't used them in about 18 years too haha. Not many stripped bolts and threads around these parts, expecially if I'm doing the wrenching. Thanks

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Just some people's preference. They are solid inserts, not a coil.

If I recall correctly, the lower transfer case bolt location is a bit shallow and may not use a complete coil (or it is very close in dimension). So watch for that possibility.

I used helicoils in the trans mount location and it worked great. May have actually needed two there for the depth. No real need for a timesert there. Depth wise it may be too deep for a standard timesert length, though I have not used a 12mm timesert ever.

marvinmadman

Confirmed. Trans mount bolts are m12x1.25
Also discovered the "4th" trans bolt was broken inside the trans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif So I drilled it out and I'm gonna try to use a m10x1.25 instead of the factory smaller bolt. Side note, block and trans has threads for that "4th" bolt. WTF?

marvinmadman

Trans is back in. Used a 2" bolt for the 4th bolt that I drilled to m10 to match the rest. Success.

marvinmadman

I also installed a Competition Clutch fork. I used 1 shim/washer and got lucky. Fork is slightly offset to the engine side. Spec clutch just in case someone needs a reference. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts