The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock Upgrades

turbowop

I would guess 260ish whp and low or mid 13's at the track. That's just a wild guess though, I may be way off.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

Quoting turbowop:
If I were to start fresh with a 14b build that is to be kept mostly stock and for reliability, my mod list would look like this:

Barring all maintenance is good to go...

2gMaf
550cc injectors
Walbro 190 pump
2.5" turboback
2g exhaust manifold
FMIC and piping
Boost/oil pressure/Wideband gauges
balance shaft elimination
MBC at like 18psi

cheap tuning: eprom chip (possibly with an SAFC for fine tuning)
better, but more expensive option: ECMlink

id say teh wopper hit it on the head pretty much. recently, i've de-modded my 1gb daily driver. i ran an SCM6152 for awhile with 1200cc injectors, tuned on V3 speed density at 27 psi. it was an animal but it didn't have the low down power and it wasn't the best setup to DD. not to mention putting that kind of power down on the regular was not a good idea in terms of reliability, hehe. so here's what i went with, and is most likely going to stay my DD recipe for awhile:

stock block
ARP's/MLS
no B/S
V3
walbro 255 and Aeromotive AFPR
hallman mbc
wideband/boost gauges
full FMIC and piping
Evo 8 MAF
Evo 8 560's
Evo 3 16G
GT concepts cast manifold (relative to ported 2g)
3" exhaust
HKS 272 cams (264s would be good too)

Galant GS cams are a 264 cam and it's an OEM part, which i think is cool. I may be swapping a set in to try with the Evo 3. i feel as if the Evo 3 and Evo MAF and injectors are an awesome combo as far as driveabiliy is concerned. on lower boost, like 14-15 its still an animal. the other advantage of the Evo 3 turbo vs the 14b is that it's more efficient by design and it does perform better in all areas over the 14b. and if you ever really want to go fast, just upgrade injectors to something larger and turn up the boost.

edit: sorry for the long winded post even though you've pretty much planned on using the 14b. but just know, you could always sell it and upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

prove_it

Remember, at the track driving ability effects the time too. Around here there are huge turbo 600whp dsms that only run high 11's. They can't drive then blame the car. Good clutch, good shifting trans, good shifts all matter too. An old stock trans is a disaster waiting to happen. You'll either shatter 1st gear, or destroy the 2nd gear syncros. Also make sure your driveline is in good shape too. Bad U-joints will slow you down. Don't worry about rear LSD, it won't help. I ran a 13.6 with 18psi stock turbo, 2.5in exhaust, stock cams, 2g manifold and O2 housing and a crappy FMIC, and 8.5:1 compression. Trans didn't shift easy, could have had a 13.4 with a good trans.

fuel

Quoting DynastyLCD:
Quoting turbowop:
If I were to start fresh with a 14b build that is to be kept mostly stock and for reliability, my mod list would look like this:

Barring all maintenance is good to go...

2gMaf
550cc injectors
Walbro 190 pump
2.5" turboback
2g exhaust manifold
FMIC and piping
Boost/oil pressure/Wideband gauges
balance shaft elimination
MBC at like 18psi

cheap tuning: eprom chip (possibly with an SAFC for fine tuning)
better, but more expensive option: ECMlink

id say teh wopper hit it on the head pretty much. recently, i've de-modded my 1gb daily driver. i ran an SCM6152 for awhile with 1200cc injectors, tuned on V3 speed density at 27 psi. it was an animal but it didn't have the low down power and it wasn't the best setup to DD. not to mention putting that kind of power down on the regular was not a good idea in terms of reliability, hehe. so here's what i went with, and is most likely going to stay my DD recipe for awhile:

stock block
ARP's/MLS
no B/S
V3
walbro 255 and Aeromotive AFPR
hallman mbc
wideband/boost gauges
full FMIC and piping
Evo 8 MAF
Evo 8 560's
Evo 3 16G
GT concepts cast manifold (relative to ported 2g)
3" exhaust
HKS 272 cams (264s would be good too)

Galant GS cams are a 264 cam and it's an OEM part, which i think is cool. I may be swapping a set in to try with the Evo 3. i feel as if the Evo 3 and Evo MAF and injectors are an awesome combo as far as driveabiliy is concerned. on lower boost, like 14-15 its still an animal. the other advantage of the Evo 3 turbo vs the 14b is that it's more efficient by design and it does perform better in all areas over the 14b. and if you ever really want to go fast, just upgrade injectors to something larger and turn up the boost.

edit: sorry for the long winded post even though you've pretty much planned on using the 14b. but just know, you could always sell it and upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Galant GS (N/A DOHC) cams aren't 264 duration, they are approx 260. I don't think the lift is as high either. The ramp is also more suited to an N/A engine too.

prove_it

There is a post somewhere on here that lists all the cam specs for the various years and models. Too lazy to find. Used cams are coming up for sale around $300 on the internet if you poke around and look. Much better upgrade.

BpuVR4

man i wish i was around when these things were new and to see what everyone was trying in the begining to make some power on our cars.

prove_it

It would probably scare you, haha. I've heard that 10 years ago a 16G was the standard turbo to have and a 20G was huge.

turbowop

Probably more like 15+ years ago. 10 years ago guys putting 50trims and 60-1 and larger turbos on Mitsus was pretty much the norm. The Evo is now 10 years old and the stock turbo on it can put down good numbers even.

Last edited:

fuel

curious to know what power levels my near stock setup would be:

- JDM 7.8:1 engine with approx 10,000mi since rebuild (with MLS head gasket, rest stock parts)
- Balance shafts still present
- Cyclone intake mani + JDM '240PS' single board EEPROM ECU, factory 510cc injectors
- OEM Big16G turbo converted to 20G compressor wheel and housing, 7deg back cut turbine wheel
- EvoIII/2G exhaust manifold, high flow O2 housing, gutted cat, rest of exhaust standard
- JDM 'Evolution' intercooler with original factory 2" piping.
- approx 15psi of boost.
- Walbro 255 pump
- close ratio W5M33-2-WQNK gearbox with 3.909 diff ratios

Has previously run a 13.7sec 1/4 mile with an aftermarket rear muffler, but still on 16G and OE exhaust manifold/O2 housing.

Last edited:

prove_it

probably around 240-270whp.... Lot of factors there though.

Never heard of a EvoIII/2G exhaust manifold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

prove_it

Quoting turbowop:
Probably more like 15+ years ago. 10 years ago guys putting 50trims and 60-1 and larger turbos on Mitsus was pretty much the norm. The Evo is now 10 years old and the stock turbo on it can put down good numbers even.

Your right, jeesz were getting old.

fuel

Quoting prove_it:
probably around 240-270whp.... Lot of factors there though.

Never heard of a EvoIII/2G exhaust manifold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's the Lancer Evolution III exhaust manifold, which is the same as the 96-97 2G exhaust manifold. It flows slightly better with larger internal diameter and it curves up a little more before it enters the turbo.

prove_it

Never knew the 2G manifold is the same as an EVO3.

5OF2k

Basically is. The 2g just has slightly smaller runners as mentioned above.

BUT, port a 2g manifold and you're good to go!

-Jake

prove_it

I'll stick with my sexy FP manifold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

se7enine

That's what I plan on getting. Just waiting on another $199 sale.

jnava

Staff member
Just remember that if you get the FP mani, you have to retain two of the long bolts for the turbo and source some bolts for the front two of the manifold. Most folks get the bolts from the o2 housing. FYI

Ian M

I've had both,the evo III Manifold,and the 2g. The runners are the same,but the evo has a 7cm collector,and the 2g is 6cm. If you port the 2g to the 7cm gasket they are identical.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned