The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock Tire Opinions

ronnycordova

After much debating I've opted to keep the stock rims on my car and was curious as to what tires you guys with stock rims are running? I had intended on getting a set of BFG KDW2s but they don't come in a 15 so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

What kind of tires are you looking for? All season or high performance? Just asking about tires in general is not enough info to give advice on. I know the factory tire is 195/60/R15 (89H would be a safe starting load index) and that there aren't many hi-po tires that size.

ronnycordova

Haha yeah I guess that would help, I was looking for summer tires for it as I don't drive it in the winter. I ended up ordering a set of the new BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2s that just came out a few days ago, oddly enough they come in a 195/50/15 so I will see how they work out.

Those tires are way too short for a vr4, not to mention I don't believe they come in a load rating capable of holding a galant's weight. The most common size 15" tire that will meet these criteria is probably 225/50R15; plenty of summer tires in that size. The problem there would be shoving a 225 on a 6" wide wheel.

ronnycordova

Stocks are 86 so I don't see a terrible difference with 83s- both ratings are still quite over the curb rate and the car isn't going to ever see any road racing of the sorts to put any major stress on them.

cheekychimp

^^^ That being the case, do you really need a Hi-performance tyre?

I like the look of the 'balloon' tyres (I know, I'm weird) and I find the added protection against curb rash that they offer, plus the decent wet weather performance (it still rains in the summer over here) to be a real bonus.

I still drive aggressively enough that my wife complains on a regular basis and I really never feel the tyres are that much of a compromise. The only thing that might lead me to change my tyre choice in future is that I need to go to a larger wheel size (17") to clear the Baer brake kit that I have.

gvr4ever

I'm need new summer tires as well. I've been running 205,55,15 for years. It is close to the stock profile and has very little effect on the speedo. It does read a tad slow at 70MPH.

Choices are getting limited because 15" is now a snooze fest size. Cause everyone knows that you need 18" wheels or your car won't work right....

mikus

As suggested, there's a balance of performance tire type, to tire size/footprint.

For stockish size I'd find a performance all-season like an Eagle RS-A, ultra hi-po tires would be out of place. The smallish footprint and taller sidewall just aren't suited for UHP

ronnycordova

Ended up getting a set of kumho ecsta 4x 205/55/15s ....in the end I don't want to deal with having the lower load rating if I were to ever get into an accident with them....not worth the legal issues to have fancy tires

I was looking at those kumho ecsta 4x's. Have you driven on them much and what's your impression of them?

asmo

I just went with 205/55/15's on mine I love how it looks, my wheels are 15x7 25 offset so it looks pretty aggresive, rolled fenders and no rubbing tho

tires are falken ze502

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned