The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock part limitations?

transparentdsm

its a little work, but an evo intercooler hides very nice and you dont need all those pipes and couplers making it look not stock. also just paint it black.

vr4play

I used to run a starion intercooler. It became a restriction around 300 AWHP. I took off my 16g and put on a BB 50 Trim and went from making 305 at the wheels to 275. The car went from running 12.89 to 13.2. Swapped in a decent sized Spearco and with no other changes the car went 12.2. Never got it back on the dyno with that set up. That car is back on a small 16g with a completely stock motor with 225k on it. I think the evo 10 intercooler might be a viable option for stock appearing intercooler upgrade. I would also think about a FP HTA68. Should be good for 400 hp.

mitsuturbo

Why not just run a air-water IC under the hood if you don't want it visible?
I almost decided to go that route myself, but this car came with a cut front bumper, and i would have a gaping hole there anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

edit: nevermind, i see you want it to appear stock even when the hood is opened.. that's going to be tough if you want decent plumbing, bov, et-cetera

Last edited:

Tommyd

I went the full sleeper route myself. For intercooler I have a Spearco front mount made for an EVO 3 and its all black. Might not be the most efficient but the water/meth helps with it and you cant see it at all behind my slats at all. Engine bay was kept "rugged", not a clean finish but cleaned up some of the excess wires. 3in exhaust but with the magnaflow muffler cruising isnt loud. Little bit of drone on the highway but not obnoxious. I can drive around town and not get bugged or pulled over for a stupid loud exhaust, which they do to almost every slightly modified vehicle around here with the exception of diesel trucks Im running speed density but kept a hollowed out maf box. Stock interior with no gauges and I monitor everything via Palm Pilot. Turbo compressor is painted black, you actually have to look for it. It fools almost everyone, even dsm owners.

92_talon_awd

A lot of good ideas here guys, thanks. Guess I'm on the look out for an Evo intercooler. I looked at the FP HTA68, was my first choice but I really don't like the price. One of my DSM buddies sent me to the turbolab and the guy there said he would build me the same turbo using my stock one for around 400 bucks. Sounds like a deal to me. There is a guy on FP who is reporting a little over 500hp with his HTA68. I had thought about Link with hidden sensors and an empty air filter box but I'd like to see how far I can go with a stock looking MAF.

Last edited:

Tommyd

You should be fine with a 2g/Evo Maf, I actually kept mine until it broke and I was running a gt3076 and now a pte 60 trim. I was scared to switch to speed density but once you do, its really not bad. Especially with the Maf adapter, no cutting or splicing wires

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned