The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock car on e85

dsm10o0

Can i run e85 on my bone stock car with just injectors, fuel pump, safc, chip and a logger?

I looking for maybe at least 750cc on an evo9 fuel pump. The car is a daily and looking to save some cash on gas.

Yao

Don't think it is worth it on Stock car. Saving gas money? I don't think so, Current E85 here is 2.59 and 91 oct is 2.96 not to mention less MPG with e85 then 91oct. Also the Supporting mods cost money, in the end you are spending money, not saving money. Just admit it you need excuse to run E85 for the future upgrade? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree that it's not worth it.

You lose considerable mileage switching to e85. I went from 290-300 miles per tank with gas to 220-230 with e85. You won't save money unless E85 where you're at is considerably cheaper than gasoline.

E85 makes sense when you want to push a setup past where you can take it on pump gas, but don't want to spend the money for race gas.

dsm10o0

gas price for e85 in my area is $2.79 and as for the 91 oct. they go for $3.49 / gal.

Muskrat

Not to nit-pick, but:

Quote:

Can i run e85 on my bone stock car with just injectors, fuel pump, safc, chip and a logger?

That's not bone stock anymore. That's modified.

Lets look at the math, using 300 miles/tank for e10, and 230 mile/tank with e85, with e85 at the numbers you posted, assuming you always fillup at ~14 gallons.

Your mpg goes from ~21 to ~16

Lets assume you drive 15000 miles per year:

e10: ~50 fill-ups/year. 14 gallons/fill-up = 700 gallons/year at $3.49/gallon = $2443/year
e85: ~65 fill-ups/year. 14 gallons/fill=up = 910 gallons/year at $2.79/gallon = $2539/year + the cost of mods.

In fact, I put those numbers into an excel spreadsheet. Even if you drove 100000 miles per year, you would still be better off using e10. If fact, the further you go, the worse it gets.

Last edited:

Yao

This is why I always wonder if those SUV driver knows what they are doing when they put E85 in their so called alternative fuel vehicle. It's true they are supporting our own country by putting E85, but do they know it is at a cost of their wallet and maybe some enviromental impact. From your math if we are filling up more often through out the year, one would naturally assume there is also more pollution put out to the air. On top of that, I think E85 is way over priced, no proof, just a huntch.

thecman02

I wouldn't do it. You won't save money. I come out pretty close to even with my calibration, and price difference, but you'll be making way more torque then before and if your car is stock, like you say, it will be breaking driveling parts all day. If your clutch is stock you'll smoke that for sure.

alansupra94

I mean E85 as a alternative to race gas is a great option. But as a replacement for regular gas is not going to work in my eyes.

I wouldn't do it. I recently tuned my car on E85 & @ 20 psi I made 361whp. I daily drive my car & went from filling up twice per week on 93 to 3 times per week on E85. In the end I dceided that it didn't make any sense for a daily driver & the power I made so I switched back to 93. I can make the same power on 93 with a little more boost so why spend the cash on fuel I don't need.

Like most have pointed out, it's a great alternative if you've maxed out the 91 octane piss water California calls fuel & don't want to pay the price for race gas. At that point, E85 makes sense, otherwise it's not worth it. You're going to be spending more money than you need on fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeah i was actually going to do the same thing as you on E85 on my daily driver Vr4 but its not worth it bro..On an EVO IX like mine yes it makes ridiculous power but thinking about it its cheaper but you end up filling up more often than you think (I agree with Garfield on this one) because you push the car on the highway and if someone races you on the street it E85 burns a lot quicker because its thinner gas. I would just stick with 91 or 93. Good for you though being economical with the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

socalgvr4

Quoting Garfield Wright:

Like most have pointed out, it's a great alternative if you've maxed out the 91 octane piss water California calls fuel & don't want to pay the price for race gas. At that point, E85 makes sense, otherwise it's not worth it. You're going to be spending more money than you need on fuel.

And this is exactly why I AM going to to do it.

To be quite honest, I dont feel like having to go into the Nazi camp of SMOG stations, and not passing. I passed the absolute first time I put E85 in the car, and was way below the mark. This is a car with a 3 inch exhaust, a GM-MAF, and has the braided lines back to the tank -- and an attempt to hook up the vacuum lines for visual: all of which passed.

Given that you CAN run higher boost with lower knock...completely integrate it with DSM LINK, and enjoy the fact you're burning less hydrocarbons, I dont see WHY you wouldn't do it.

I havent read anything compelling yet... to that says dont do it.. But perhaps they are referring to a bone stock car.

Mine has been modded a bit with 1100CC injectors, and it makes complete sense to me, and perhaps that falls out of your requirements.

Last edited:

Since no one really gave you a straight answer, Yes you can do it. Those mods would be sufficient to run E85 on a stock car, but you really do need to weigh out the pro's and con's of each.

prove_it

Around here we now have E30, I've been playing with it and at 2.75 a gal verses 3.30 a gal it actually pays off. E30 runs about 95-96 octane so it is a boost, plus so far my fuel mileage has barely suffered. Not sure you have that around, but it seems to be a great alternative.

Don't forget ethanol also helps put money in for farmers pockets who are american and use the money to feed their families, and not it the hands of rich middle easterners who use the money for who knows what.

thecman02

At identical boost levels, only changing timing and afr's I've gained 30-40whp from the moment boost is on all the way up to redline. The amount of torque gained is insane!

Brunoboy

gas is touching 3.80$ atm for premium....

alansupra94

Quoting thecman02:
At identical boost levels, only changing timing and afr's I've gained 30-40whp from the moment boost is on all the way up to redline. The amount of torque gained is insane!

I have heard the same thing. Plus you can go to the DMV and pass emissions no problems! YAY FOR E85! BOO NJ FOR NOT HAVING IT!

If i end up keeping the galant im deffinately going to e85 soon as i can. I just love the idea of american made fuel, hell if i had a flex fuel explorer id be running it!

number3

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't ethanol corrosive and flex fuel cars have specific parts designed to run it not found in a stock E39a?

I love E85. Then again I'm at 34+lbs on 1450's and does things pump gas would never think of doing.

Yes it is corrosive, ultimately you should have your fuel rail anodized and some sort of Teflon lined hose for the feed and replace your fuel filter twice a year.

I'd say unless your going for 400-500+whp, Id say stick with pump gas and a nice timing friendly tune.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts