The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock Block Galant VR4 Record

NZ VR4 RS

11.751 on stock long block.

the stock headgasket blew between 1-2.

CutlassJim

The correct term for a block and rotating assembly would be "short block" not just block.

Ian M

I can't remember who the guys name was to save my life,but I remember Curt Brown driving the black GVR4 of a board member here,and ran 10.20s-10.30s @130+ on a stock bottom end. I remember that both guys drove the car,but Curt went way quicker with it.

This was probably 10+ years ago,so excuse my memory. I remember someone else bought and redid the car with a built engine(I want to say his name is Dan? I'm too lazy to look it up to refresh my memory..)and has a more radical setup a few years ago running in the 9's. Somebody help me here.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

5OF2k

We'll see what the stock shortblock can take of my T67 shortly.

Does removing the BS count as "stock" if the rest of the rotating assy is untouched factory stuffs? IMHO it does.

Since my car isnt my only mode of transportation anymore, my tuner has the green light to push the piss out of it. Should get interesting, quickly!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jake

turbowop

Way too many hairs being split here. When people talk about stock bottom ends in the DSM world, they mean stock pistons/rods. Balance shaft removal really doesn't matter.

blackvr4

I recently ran an 11.709@120 with a 1.7 sixty foot. Stock shortblock/stock head, car is on E85 and a bolt on hx35

Nate

Though I'm positive it's not the fastest, the engine in the galant when it went 11.22 @ 127 was a stock rebuild; 1g pistons, fresh stock sized rings, 1g rods, stock crank. It actually went faster with that bottom end than it did with the built one, but it was due to other factors.

Just a data point, again, I'm positive that's not even close to being the fastest.

NateCrisman

click

I "think" it's me. Granted, this is nowhere near the potential of the oem short block assembly, since its seen 9.28@154 in a 1g DSM. Figure a galant shell should be able to go 9.4@150 wih a stock bottom end, making my 10.8@131 rather pansy in comparison. If memory serves, I kicked the head gasket out on that pass too and the shortblock was fine.

GSX_TC

Quoting Ian M:
I can't remember who the guys name was to save my life,but I remember Curt Brown driving the black GVR4 of a board member here,and ran 10.20s-10.30s @130+ on a stock bottom end. I remember that both guys drove the car,but Curt went way quicker with it.

This was probably 10+ years ago,so excuse my memory. I remember someone else bought and redid the car with a built engine(I want to say his name is Dan? I'm too lazy to look it up to refresh my memory..)and has a more radical setup a few years ago running in the 9's. Somebody help me here.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yep curt brown used to have one alright, and the Dan your thinking about is Dan Cokic. Used to be affiliated with Pruven Peformance.

Garage_Defeat

Dale N ran a 10.2 @ 132 with Curt Brown driving. Stock block Galant VR4 1/4 mile record set circa 2003.

-Dan S

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned