The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering rack upgrades.

gvr4ever

Are any steering rack upgrades a little faster than stock? 1G, 2G? Direct fit?

slugsgomoo

the best you'll get for that IMO is probably a quickener (really common on rally cars).

I'm in the middle of converting my car to electric PS, though it's just assist on the column, not changing the rack. I'm doing it to be able to clean up the engine bay, as well as adjust how much assist I'm getting (I hate how over-powered our stock steering is).

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Aftermarket generic kit or something you are putting together? I have seen people developing Prius or other small vehicle electric steering motors to adapt to classic cars w/o PS.

You have already adopted manual steering rack?

gvr4ever

I haven't done anything yet, but my stock rack lines took a leak. I tried searching, and it seems like the manual rack steering ratio is more than stock. I'm having trouble finding the details on 1G compared to the Galant VR4. I honestly hadn't even considered electric.

No matter what I end up doing, it's time to block the AWD. Haven't done that yet, but I want to stop another failure point.

Any electric steering documented projects yet? Is a upgraded alternator required?

belize1334

I've been toying with the idea of swapping in a rack from an awd 3si/3000gt/stealth.
Should work with the stock tie-rods, which will need to be shortened a little, and would be noticeably quicker than the stock 16:1 ratio.
The inner tie-rod joint will sit slightly farther outboard than stock -- not sure how this will affect bump steer.
If anybody has done it and wants to chime in I'm all ears.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts