The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering rack rebuild

AuSpecVr4

Hey

I've had steering play for as long as I can remember, (minimal leaks too) and I want my steering to be tight again, it's the first time
I've had to pull my steering out and it wasn't that bad. I've rebuilt a starion steering box before and it was just seals.

I got quoted $600 to rebuild my steering rack, what is involved? Is it just seals they replace at a shop? The seal kit can be bought from rockauto, so if it's anything like a steering box it's no worries but If there is bearings and what not I can't press them at home. Do they replace all the gear and shaft in a rebuild or am I paying someone $600 to put some seals in that I could manage myself with some help from a tutorial.

Cheers, Brock

EHmotorsports

First thing is. What makes you believe it's the rack and not wheel bearing, bushings,ball joints. ? Have you checked those out?

AuSpecVr4

Ball joints and wheel bearings have been replaced. End links have not, neither have the sub bushes or arm bushes. It's been a year since I have drove the thing but it's in the rack I believe.

brisvr4

Check your inner ties rods Brock. They can develop play over time.
Pulling the rack apart is pretty simple, there isn't a lot to it mate. Nothing in there that needs to be pressed out either!

kooter

First off, thank you for asking this question. Just this morning I was thinking to myself that I want to look into rebuilding my steering rack. Even thouars ago when I first got the car I was told the rack is leaking.
So I ordered one from lee auto . Who I dealt with daily for work. Well needless to say that 300 dollar rack is still in the box on a shelf at work.
My engine bay is empty except for the crossmember and rack.
Soon to come out. I figure install the new one. Rebuild the old one put it in the box back on the shelf for future use or sale or emergency ship it rush over night to a member so they can make it to the 2034 shootout. Whatever right.
Any way long story short thank you as it seems all I needneed to do is ordethe rebuild kit and dive right in.

Lastly I like to add thank you. 2 years ago I didn't know anything about this car now I like to feel I can hold my own in a co conversation about the car. All thanks to the power of galantvr.org. this site and its members are truly Awsome. Really eager to get it up and running and make it to some future events.

Sorry for any grammatical errors . Did this from my phone on lunch.

AuSpecVr4

All good, I will ask lots of questions on the forums to as I'm no qualified mechanic, I'm a fast food manager who only gets to do this stuff In my free time. I appreciate the help through these forums for sure. It should be straight forward, I'm ordering $300 in parts from Rock auto this week to recondition the rack, tie rod ends, ball joints etc. I'll update down the road when I find the time to rebuild the rack and see how it goes.

Thanks guys .

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned