The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering Rack. Knocking, rebuild?

miller

So an annoying knock has been diagnosed as the Steering Rack. Despite the seals being done last year. If I send it to be rebuilt is there a parts kit I can buy for the rebuild? Whats the likely culprit here? Im not too familiar with steering racks! Help please....

Koyo Rack so original OEM.
Hivy2qz.jpg

Video of the knocking if it doesnt insert here

f5VLR18.mp4

miller

Anyone got any tips on how to search for the Koyo Part number? Mine is half missing, id like to try and cross reference other models in case the rack is same... Really struggling now on this

Turbo99

Last edited:

misterfixit

Nope, but there is a shoe on the back behind the pinion you need to adjust. The bottom of the pinion also runs in a roller bearing. I’ll look out the uk place i used for seal kits and post for you. If there’s play stop using it as you’ll knacker up the rack and pinion. Do you have the shop manual?

miller

No shop manual here am afraid, any link to it? As an update though, I dropped the rack into a service shop in Dublin two days ago. I got a call yesterday that they had inspected it and they can repair it. I am due to pick it up later on today, with a view to fitting it in the coming days. Ill report back then.

Cl93XJs.jpg

misterfixit

Glad you’re getting it sorted. It’s been a long day here so it’ll not be tonight. I’ll dig out the info from the shop manual and the tech info manual and share that.

If you look at my index post in the tech section you’ll see some of my shop manuals.

kind regards,

Richard

misterfixit

Shop Manual rack section. EDM/GCC/ROW: Section 37

37_Page_01.jpg

37_Page_02.jpg

37_Page_03.jpg

37_Page_04.jpg

37_Page_05.jpg

37_Page_06.jpg

37_Page_07.jpg

37_Page_08.jpg

37_Page_09.jpg

37_Page_10.jpg

37_Page_11.jpg

37_Page_12.jpg

37_Page_13.jpg

misterfixit

JDM Tech Info Manual (87.10 section):

TIM 01.jpg

TIM 02.jpg

TIM03.jpg

TIM04.jpg

misterfixit

Turned over some rocks to find the company I bought seal kits from way back when.. Here is their webpage as a screenshot:
Looks like Covid and Brexit export restrictions killed it. It was dissolved in 2021 per companies house.

ASL.png

Asl dissolution.png

misterfixit

Indeed…

miller

So last update on this. I had the rack totally reconditioned and refitted. The knocking has now dissapeared so all good. There is still some very very minute play in it, which is put down to wear and tear on the worm gear. But overall its made a huge difference. No more 'shakey' steering wheel that feels like its loading and unloading and no more knocking.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings