The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Squeak after wheel bearing replacement (Found it... UPDATE)

EfiniX

So three weeks ago I had both of my front wheel bearings replaced by a local shop. I then left town, just returning Friday. I've noticed that one got a fairly noisy squeak coming from the front of the car and I'm thinking it's likely related to the work. Now I've got no issue taking my car back in, but if I can diagnose it myself, well I'd be keen on not having to take out back in and deal with getting another car for the day(s).

The squeak sounds almost like noisy rubber, a belt, or a tensioner. It is erratic, but constant. It doesn't match engine speed (so not a belt or tensioner), and only starts up once I get going over 10-15 mph. Pressing the brakes doesn't change the sound, and just to rule out engine components, I killed the motor while coasting in neutral and the sound was still there (until I slowed to under ~10mph).

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

transparentdsm

i had this happen to me one time. the store didn't have the proper inner wheel bearing seal, so i said f*** it and used what they said was for my car. about a day or so later i noticed this slight rubbing noise. had to order the seal from JNZ then the noise went away. weird thing though, it was only one side that made the noise but both sides had the national seals that oreilly's swore was for my car. oem has a lip and the national is flat.

edit: i should also mention i could only hear the noise when i was going 10-20 on side roads or if i was driving on the highway close to a retaining wall and the sound would bounce back at me.

Last edited:

EfiniX

Did it sound like something between a squeaky belt and squeaky suspension?

EfiniX

Balls
Well back to the shop Monday I suppose
Thanks!

EfiniX

Found the sound. It's my speedo cable. I hadn't noticed before, but the noise perfectly syncs with the bouncy speedo gauge that I have. I think letting the car sit for over two weeks in cold, rainy weather at the airport allowed the old cable to do what old cables do.

Creatively annoy me

The sound has largely gone away and the wheel bearings are fine, so no problem there.

You think you know a car...

Enjoy this video where a guy describes the sound of a noisy cable squealing "like had a bad belt".

click

Yeah, that about sums it up

Last edited:

thomcasey

Mine did that for a while too, then the cable broke.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts