The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speed density

prove_it

Now that Link has released speed density, I was wondering who all on this board it using it? If you are post your thoughts feelings,and tips for running it. I'll be converting soon and just looking for opinions from all.

GVR4_1057

I just switched over to speed density yesterday on 1057. I am in the process of capturing values to adjust and tune the VE and dial it in. It seems better now as I have maybe 20 minutes of captured values applied. But it started and ran with just the displacement and global/deadtime set up.So far so good.

prove_it

Nice, I'm getting the impression that it works real good, of course Thomas spent about a year working on it. What happened to your fuel trims when you switched it over? Did they stay the same or go rich?

GVR4_1057

It was very rich when I switched over initially (like 10:1 on the WB)The trims were climbing quickly and correcting fast, I got the coolant temp up before I switched over so it would adjust sooner.I ran it just around the block did a correction ,re-zeroed the trims and the richness went away.

G

Staff member
I'm running sd via aem ems. I love it.

prove_it

Quoting GVR4_1057:
It was very rich when I switched over initially (like 10:1 on the WB)The trims were climbing quickly and correcting fast, I got the coolant temp up before I switched over so it would adjust sooner.I ran it just around the block did a correction ,re-zeroed the trims and the richness went away.

Which correction did you run? The sd adjust function?

GVR4_1057

I have been messing with it more this evening. The SD adjust seems to be working well for me. You can click track datalog and as the car is running it will highlight which box (within the map)is being read by the ECU.These boxes are able to be adjusted to whatever value you want (larger number means more Ve and therefore more fuel). The SD adjust changes the values in the boxes that you have been running within for your current datalog and will suggest these new values as a correction. Then you write changes to the ECU . I need to log my car more but it keeps getting better.

prove_it

That's what I thought. Just how it is. What did you convert from, stock MAF or GM MAF?

belize1334

The on-the-fly corrective tuning algorithm is pretty cool but I wonder if there would be any benefit to having a collection of baseline VE curves for particular CR and cam combos. I imagine it would be possible to do a WOT run w/ the waste-gate disconnected (presuming that it doesn't creep) and record the airflow via MAF. This could be used to generate a baseline for the VE curve of a particular engine since it would record the airflow at ambient pressure at each RPM point. It'd have to be done on a nice turbo setup w/ a big external WG of course so that you could be sure it was 0psi all the way up. Then if you new the rpm VE curve for any particular setup, the fuel curve would just be VE * boostratio * fuel/air ratio and you'd be in there with your idealized 3D map. You'd still have to tweak and tune since every engine is different; but I imagine it'd get you alot closer to start with.

On a different note: What are people using for MAP and IAT sensors? I understand there's a compromise between response time and measurable range.

Last edited:

GVR4_1057

I converted from blow through 3" GM MAFS.

I am using a GM3.3 Bar Map and a GM IAT sensor.

NateCrisman

I went speed density back in Jan (for just about free too), with DS-Map on an ostrich. I LOVE SD tuning (be it AEM EMS, DS-Map, or whatever link does), it's just so much cleaner under the hood with no doofy MAF & bov tubes, and allows for such simple piping setups. Not to mention the car drives home fine when an Ic coupling blows up on some backroad in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

MAF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif who needs that crap.

4thStroke

I switched to SD with ECMLink and love it. I will never go back to a MAF (I was using a 2g MAF), the car just drives smoother altogether. I did not do the tuning myself.

For those with ECMLink SD, is your IAT sensor actually working? Mine is stuck at 77* for no apparent reason.

GVR4_1057

^ Is your IAT locked? It should not be. It sounds like it may be. This shows it locked.

GVR4_1057

Is your sensor hooked to the IAT wire that originally went to the ECU? I am using the ECmlink native GM MAFS cable for the harness and mine works ok. That sensor needs a buffer to work properly and can only be attached to the original ECU temp wire.

GVR4_1057

That is the Locked value that would be going to the ECU. This value is locked as soon as you select SD of the mafcomp page. You need to set up the GM IAT on the logged values page to see the GM sensor in the logs.You also have to configure the ECU so that it uses the GM sensor to run on. This is on the intake sensors page My factory IAT value on the log is also 77.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts