The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speaking of alternators, how do we make them last longer?

spoulson

Mine just died. At least I think it's the alt. I was a few blocks from home when I realized why it was for the last 3-4 weeks my car was knocking so bad, misfiring, and now ABS light and radio cutting out, the sure sign. I had a Mitsu alt from JNZ from back in Aug 07. *sigh*

I expected it to last longer. I'm sure missing the top manifold heat shield doesn't help, and having two amps w/ sub isn't great, either. I'm considering taking out the sub/amp. I listen to talk show podcasts 99.999% of the time anyway.

Anyone interested in a Clarion 200W monoblock and 10" kicker sub/box configured for 400W@2ohm? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Polish

+1 Heat shields.

That is the biggest thing, imho.

The amp will only kill it if you jam out ALL the time, otherwise it shouldn't really bother it or shorten it's life much at all.

ktmrider

+2, heat shields AND keeping fluids away ( PS and engine ).
One note, we have a local place that rebuilds alternators to spec. They can even bump up the amperage/windings for specific needs and offer a good warranty. I also understand they use better quality electronics ( diode pack and regulator ) than the chain stores.
If you have something like that local look into it.

Last edited:

I got one too

+3 on heat shield.

My manifold heat shield is on, but not the O2 housing heat shield. I'm sure without the O2 heat shield the radiant heat is shortening the life of the alternator. I'm planning on wrapping my tubular O2 with heat wrap this weekend. I've killed 2 alternators in two years! Maybe it's just the crappy Kragen alts?!

jepherz

Staff member
All BMWs have cooling ducts on their alternators. Some even are liquid cooled. It'd be cool to integrate something like that since our engine bays are so darn hot.

atc250r

Staff member
Leave it on the shelf. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Or on Jack Stands. JSBFTMFW. +4 on heat shields.

GreenGSX

Move it to the back side of the block where it belongs anyway. Once I moved mine a few years ago I haven't had one alternator fail yet. That includes the 4500 miles we put on the One Lap VR4 using the JNZ alternator relocation kit.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

That only works if you got rid of the A/C

Brianawd

Quote:
Move it to the back side of the block where it belongs anyway. Once I moved mine a few years ago I haven't had one alternator fail yet. That includes the 4500 miles we put on the One Lap VR4 using the JNZ alternator relocation kit.

That will not work for me as I still have a working AC with r12. It works so well that on a 90-100deg day, I still have to turn the ac down because it gets to cold inside the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting spoulson:

I expected it to last longer. I'm sure missing the top manifold heat shield doesn't help,

I'm sure missing the top manifold heat sheald DOES help... Alternator needs to stay cool. Had a BMW in the garage yesterday wich had an liquid cooled one, and it was pretty awesome. Never saw that before in "real-life". Very nice find from BMW(even though i'm not sure if the "original find" was from BMW)

dmj

Some Caddilacs have the watercooled alternator also, PITA to remove when they go bad though.

turbowop

Brian, where does your wastegate dumptube terminate? The one I got from FP I extended with some of that cheap flexible exhaust tubing you can get from Autozone. It just clamps on with a U-bolt. I extended mine about an inch below and behind the front crossmember.

CarRacer

^ I did. There's a photo in the other alternator thread. I had issues yesterday with it. I installed a gusset to stiffen the shield and keep it from rattling. The alternator wires were touching the shield and the extended drive heated up the shield enough to melt the insulation and shorted the wire. I bent the shield away and all is well.

+5 Heat shield.
I once bought the cheap alt from napa, died within 2 days. When I went back I had them test the exchange, it was bad. The next three we tested were also bad. In the end I bitched and moaned until they gave me the full rebuild for the price of the cheap one.

Strange, as I usually have good luck with napa.....shows you never can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

spoulson

Ok, I'll be putting that top heat shield on for sure.

For the record, I ended up getting the alternator rebuilt at a local shop with heavy duty regulator for $150 with 2 year warranty.

Btw, R&R the alternator is a HUGE pain in the arse. Too many hard to reach bolts that must be undone with hand wrenches.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts