The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Spark plugs

GVR-4

Does anybody know of a spark plug that is comparable to the NGK BPR7es plugs that has three side electrodes? Ken Inn recommended the Bosch WR7DTC plug and they were great, but are discontinued.

Here's a pic.

Last edited:

cupajoe

I would not recommend running anything other then Ngk's. Our engine are very picky about plugs. Just run Bpr7es or Br7es(Non-porjected) plugs. Non-projected plugs are less prone to knock.

GVR-4

Thanks, but I'm not looking for advice on what plug I should use.

GVR-4

Just in case anyone else is interested, this is Ken's response to a PM:

"yah, there is an ngk, i think it was bp6et. if you look up the plugs for the early audi turbos, the bosch and ngk plug come up. i got the bosch plugs. i think they work great. yah, here they are:
click"

I think they work great too.

The_Big_Weave

anything other than standard plug will cause you to lose power. I recommend the NGK bpr7es or if you are mainly stock the bpr6es will be just fine.

GVR-4

Quoting GVR-4:

slugsgomoo

some cars need multiple electrodes due to design, and some of them don't benefit from it.

the NGK's are proven performers here, and they're quite inexpensive. I'd also recommend the non projected version of the plug, and depending on power level BR6ES or BR7ES. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Why three prong instead of 2, or 4, or splitfires. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif

GVR-4

Quoting GVR-4:
Quoting GVR-4:

SleepinGVR4

Bosch didn't replace the plug with another model? Have you tried going to an auto parts store and see if they can cross reference the old number with another one?

H05TYL

Quoting GVR-4:
Quoting GVR-4:
Quoting GVR-4:
Thanks, but I think I know better than everyone else on this board.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

The point that he's making is that everybody is telling him which plugs he "should" run... which isn't what he was asking. In response, I'll say this.

1) You should listen to these people because a) multip-point plugs are dumb (one of the points always ends up carrying the spark which makes them effectively single point plugs that just wear out too quickly)... and b) NGK is proven to be better and cheaper than everything else on the market.

2) Because of 1) there are few viable alternatives and I don't know of a company that makes a multi-point plug for our engines.

GVR-4

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Bosch didn't replace the plug with another model? Have you tried going to an auto parts store and see if they can cross reference the old number with another one?

What I know is that the Bosch WR7DTC are NLA, and although I cannot say with 100% certainty, I believe I remember the guy saying there wasn't anything comparable made by Bosch.

BTW, thanks for a relevant response.

GVR-4

Here's the bottom line: A few years back, Ken Inn suggested the Bosch WR7DTC plugs as an alternative to the NGK BPR7ES plugs. I tried them and I like them better. Has anyone else? You don't think I should use them? Fine. You can express your opinion. But after the first two people tried to convince me that the only good option for our engines is the BPR7ES, you should've drawn the conclusion that I don't agree with your opinion, and not wasted your time posting in my thread. Whaddayou care what plug I use?

turboaddict

For the record 2g's (from the factory) came with bpr6ekn that is a twin ground strap NGK plug. this is what my car came with from the dealer brand new!! This plug is out of production.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned