The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Source for knock sensor

mk2davis

Anyone have a resource for knock sensors? I've checked Orielly's, Napa, AZ, Pepboys, PerformancePartout, Andy's autoparts, Partsgeek, Rockauto... no joy.

OEM part number I think is MD141510

Mitsubishipartswarehouse.com price is $10000, too bad it's not available...

Amazon says they have some, but they look different: click

mk2davis

Both the parts listed are out of stock. Any other ideas?

transparentdsm

I have 3 knock sensor sitting on order from an eBay company. They claimed to be in the states and ended up being in China. I'm still waiting, as I couldn't find them anywhere else.

mk2davis

Vividracing.com and horsepowerfreaks.com (which seem to be the same company) list:

Original Equipment W0133-1623757, click

for about 75 delivered.

moduleunknown

I wonder if they truly have any "in stock." I added 99 to my cart and their website didn't complain. I highly doubt they have that many available. I'd suspect their site doesn't properly track inventory or suppliers.

It doesn't look like anyone is making these knock sensors anymore.

I recently came across a thread on DSMtuners here which is more of the same - no one being able to find an OEM replacement.

However, that thread does lead to a potential replacement. NTK ID0263 Knock Sensor (which appears to still be available) may be the same sensor, but with shorter wires. Something to look into if that vividracing order doesn't pan out...

mk2davis

I found that thread to on that OTHER forum, but I didn't see any confirmation one way or another. Iirc, that was the sensor for miatas. I think the concern about if they work for our motors is legitimate, but I have no idea. I also ordered one from fleabay, I'll report back if and when either one is received.

My current sensor gives phantom knock at like 2000rpm at next to no load (loadfactor .2 to. 4), and possibly valid knock with 5-8psi. I'm hoping this background will help determine if the new one (s) function right.

slugsgomoo

ugh seeing this makes me consider hoarding some if a good source is found- but even then, how long is the goo shelf stable?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mooserage

Staff member
Probably a good idea to just cryogenically freeze them until needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I've been following this thread for a bit and even sourced a possible alternative replacement. I created a plug n play harness for the Miata sensor. The sensor is made by mitsu and looks exactly the same as ours down to the goo and all. Plugging it in to see if it throws a CEL or not is easy enough, but...

Biggest issue, as pointed out in the tuners thread, is determining if it has the right frequency filters. No one has been able to get any manufacturers to confirm if the the filtered frequencies are the same, and there aren't any very scientific ways to confirm it. As of now I plan to run a known good DSM knock sensor and make a few logs, then swap and try to replicate and compare results. If anyone wanted to test the Miata sensor, I would be happy to work with them, but can make no guarantees about it working, just speculation based on someone from tuner's experience. As an alternative, I may try a standalone knock detection in conjunction with both sensors to see if they pickup the same knock detected by the standalone. Its a little risky to run these while making a pull with potentially bad knock detection, but there aren't a lot of alternatives for confirming.

Ultimately, it's not a very scientific approach. Knowing from Mitsubishi what the filter frequencies for these sensors is would be the best, but short of that, I assume someone would need an oscilloscope or similar equipment to test the filters. No one is stepping up with a scientific approach, just a lot of speculation (Miata and CSM sensors look the same, made by Mitsu) and I think we're all really hoping something works.

transparentdsm

my only concern is the CSM and miata were mostly non-turbo models. the real question is does the non turbo CSM/miata and turbo model CSM/miata have the same part number. if not then id say wrong frequency, never thought of looking at different vehicles for a matching knock sensor...

mooserage

Staff member
No, and I wouldn't expect them to have the same part number. CSM has a shorter cable with the same plug, Miata is of course a Mazda part number, but also has a different plug and cable length, so all of the part numbers are different. The real question is are the internals the same, even if cable lengths and styles are different? The piezoelectric element could be the same across all 3 with the ECU discerning what is knock or not for that motor, or the filtering might be a physical difference in the element/internal electronics, then they would not be cross-compatible. But, that's what I mean, it's all conjecture without the right engineering info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

raptorWagon

I believe he was referring to turbo and NA models of either cars sharing the part numbers between them, not manufacturers lol.

raptorWagon

And the Knock sensor MD131681 that is on the 1.6l C53A Mirage, is the same for E33A (with 4g63) and E38A Galants according to ASA. The DOHC 4g61 C63A mirages, however don't have anything available in ASA for a knock sensor...it's either been long time obsolete or they didn't have one.

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting raptorWagon:
I believe he was referring to turbo and NA models of either cars sharing the part numbers between them, not manufacturers lol.

Fair point, I didn't read it well enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

mk2davis

I've inquired with horsepowerfreaks.com as to what is going on with my knock sensor. They haven't responded to me in about 2 weeks.

My Chinese one has been shipped, but I don't have an eta.

mk2davis

My new knock sensors came in!!!

Neither of them work. These are the non-OEM style with a shallow nut.

I tested each on the car, both caused the CEL "knock sensor circuit malfunction".

I got these off of Ebay. Different vendors, but identical packaging/box/label.

I will not be experimenting with Ebay knock sensors anymore unless I can find an OEM example. Which sucks because my OEM is suspect.

Anyone that has a lead on an OEM sensor, I'd be very interested.

mk2davis

I'm finding conflicting information, maybe you can help clear this up.

Does a non turbo 1g dsm have a knock sensor? I don't think so, but I have found some application listing that say yes. The same part number (MD141510) is listed on some sites, but still unavailable. This could be a case of inaccurate listings.

If it does have one (big if), would a knock sensor for a 1993 Hyundai Sonata work? That motor is the G4CP, AKA the 4G63. I haven't searched for this Hyundai knock sensor. If it exists, I still don't know if it's sensitive to the same range.

This option seems to be similar to the Miata solution, and I'd LOVE to hear of anyone's opinion or experience.

thomcasey

They don't have one. The real tell-tale sign is in the NA ECU. It does not have the knock-board.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts