The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Source for knock sensor

mk2davis

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be buying some 100 oct and see what that does.

If anyone finds a source for the knock sensor, don't be shy.

We can add factorymitsubishiparts.com to the list of places that don't have it. It is listed as available, but my order was soon cancelled.

mk2davis

Thanks Iceman! It looks like NTK ID0263 is the Mirage plug that is 1" shorter. Clubplug.net was the only site that I could find that had it. The price was decent, $86 delivered. I'll let everyone know my experience.

JNR

What are the actual differences between all the knock sensors?
For example:
Is it mostly physical, like say protrusion, how far it sticks out, thread diameter/pitch, etc.?
Is there a particular value range that is needed for the ECU (i.e. x reading turns into y signal)?
A particular connector needed? Although this would be the easiest part to adapt...

Asking, because it seems with all the different types of engines out there, must be something else that can be chosen/used once the variables are known.

CutlassJim

I've always wondered myself why a newer style Mitsu sensor wouldn't work. Especially something like a 2G sensor. But I also know almost zero about the workings of a knock sensor. I just assume the newer sensors are a different style of output. Similar to a Vortex vs Hotwire MAF.

mk2davis

2 things. I don't know about 2g sensors, but supposedly the Evo sensor range is vastly different in range compared to the 1g unit. The Evo ECU and 1g ECU is supposed to have different filtering ability in the board. Or so I've read.

Received an email regarding the mirage knock sensor availability. National backorder, eta 30-90 days. This was from clubplug.net.

gvr4ever

I changed mine about 10 years ago with a factory knock sensor, still okay....

The only thing I recall breaking down was the packing material/goo. This break down causes it to be too sensitive. I don't think the coil breaks ever (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm wondering if it would be possible to just mimic the original filling and maybe just redo a used one. Just thinking out of the box, but the knock sensor is just a mic pickup. Just need to make a used one not as sensitive to avoid phantom knock.

I know, easier said than done, but surely it could be done.

I was thinking that some people have used EVO ecu's in their VR4. Did they switch to an evo knock sensor or use the VR4 OEM one? If the EVO ecu's work with the VR4 sensors it would seem like the reverse would be true if they mount the same way.

Eztoril

I use the evo ecu and had to use a evo knock sensor.

Some of the older Hyundai engines are copy cat designs of the 4g63. Those may still be available from Hyundai.

Who wants to be the ginuea pig and try them??

Just realized that you already know about the Hyundais.

Last edited:

mk2davis

I've had an order with a vendor for a NTK sensor for a couple months now. Initially, the part was reported to be on "national backorder" for 30-90 days.

I received a follow up email stating the part will not be available.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts